Smaller, faster apps suggestion thread.

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by squash, May 29, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. squash

squash Registered Member

What you do, is post a picture of your start menu and you suggest, if there are any lighter, smaller and/or non-resource hog applications that can replace any of the software in that screenshot.

Rules
    *Screenshot of Start Menu (But screenshot showing your end result, minimalist desktop can be also be posted) only.
    *Legal software only.
    *Rules are subject to change, at any time.

I'll start:

Attached Files:

• Menu.PNG
      Menu.PNG
      File size:
      12.2 KB
      Views:
  2. tkc

tkc Guest

u could try replacing real and videolan with mplayer. btw i'm not familiar with all the apps that u posted in yr screenshot, since u're using them, maybe u could briefly describe each one?

3. iwod

iwod Registered Member

Uses PhotoFiltre instead of GIMP if you are not using all its function.

Uses AntiVir instead of AVG.

Don't know what is Leaktek Winfast doing there. My guess if something to do with OC. Uses the default Nvidia Driver Set. ( if it is for TV than leave it )

That is really. If you are solely searching for lighter, smaller and/or non-resource. Although i would say their not the best function/perfomance/resources program.

4. Matt_Smi

Matt_Smi Registered Member

Out of the programs that I recognize I would say the only bloated one in there is Real player, which I consider to be borderline spyware. I just use WMP for all my media files (except music, I have itunes). But maybe you have some files that only play though real player?

5. iwod

iwod Registered Member

Spyware? have you try using Real Player 10.5 yet?

6. squash

squash Registered Member

Thanks I will have a look at PhotoFibre
    Leadtek Winfast is my TV Tuner program (allows me to watch TV on my computer)

I use RealPlayer 8, the last non-bloated (if there is such a thing) version of RealPlayer. I would have beenhappy to use "Real Alternative" program but I think thats illegal, because it's redistributing/hacking proprietry codecs.

7. iwod

iwod Registered Member

Realplayer 8...... and it could not play some of the new Rmvb Content.
    RealONE Player ( Both version 1 and 2 ) are spyware like and bloated. That is why people avoid them like Plague.

I think you should try out Realplayer 10.5 (Yea they change their name back)
    There are many good feed back so far. And the deveolper are listening. Although some times they said they couldn't do everything they want.
    With a few tweak Such as tuning off Message centre. Real Player should run fine.

And BTW, Real Alternative is not a hacking propertirey codec. You got it completely wrong. They are simply RealPlayer files without the Realplayer.exe or Player engine Plus a Media Plyer Classic with proper Filter.

While it is illegal in Distrubuting it. It is not illegal in using it. You could in effect install RealPlayer and get MPC, tweak it to play Real Files. That is what bascially Real Alternative does.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.