Small Update Today Fixed Problem

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by NewNOD, Dec 9, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NewNOD

NewNOD Guest

I posted this in another thread:
    I just checked for new updates again, and 2 very small files downloaded:

pwscan1.nup
    pwscan2.nup

Before the update, the Last Update still showed 12/06/2003. After the pwscan downloads, update was changed to 12/09/2003 as would be expected.

WHAT WASNT EXPECTED was that after that small update, the Kerio Status screen is now back to normal speed even with IMON running. I'll check to see if anything else was positively changed and post back, but thought I'd let you know about this.

See here for detail of Kerio Status screen issue:

http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=17521;start=30

Was this a new update, or did something get munged in the download yesterday and is just now coming through?

Thanks for reading.

2. Access Denied

Access Denied Registered Member

Confirmed. It fixed mine too :D

3. NewNOD

NewNOD Guest

Okay, so far, so good.

1. Internet apps and connectivity are back to normal speed (Outllook checks mail and quits without slow down and all browsers get pages immediately without sitting for a while looking for connection)

2. And, I am now able to use my news servers without placing them in the IMON exclusions.

Don't know what those files were, but immediately after downloading them, things are picked up here.

Hope it sticks.

4. owziee

owziee Registered Member

Things are back to normal here too :) And the NOD32 splash screen also is back to normal (Doesn't stay forever anymore).

5. Stan999

Stan999 Registered Member

The 12/09 update today also fixed my problems with IMON.

With IMON running web browsing, mail, news, etc. are all doing fine now!:)

WinXP Pro.

6. NewNOD

NewNOD Guest

Scratch the news server comments. That fix didn't stick. Any connectivity using NNTP protocal (news servers or readers) on my PC require that they be put in the IMON exclusions.

Seems another reboot jacked what I thought had been fixed. The only way to assure connectivity is to exclude these apps from IMON.

Anyone else having NNTP issues?

Everything else still seems to be okay.

7. mrtwolman

mrtwolman Eset Staff Account

Sources said the two files are scanner for packet worms (Codered variants, SQLSlammer, Lovsan, Nachi).

8. Stan999

Stan999 Registered Member

I use 5 news servers with OE, running WinXP Pro.
    I rebooted to check and they are still running ok with IMON on.

9. Melkor

Melkor Guest

? WTH ?!? Downloading these 'pwscan' files seems to have solved my slowdown problems too regarding Net apps whilst using Imon!

- IE launches as quickly as when Imon is disabled

- So does Outlook Express ...

- ... the atom-clock synchronizer ...

- ... and the firewall!

I'm back to Warp 10 again. How these 2 files could have fixed that I know not, but I won't complain about it :D

BTW, a reboot does NOT seem to nullify these fixes.

However there still remains that dark note about the NNTP protocol.
    NewNOD: excuse my lack of knowledge for I'm but a Jedi apprentice when it comes to Networking, but could U give me an example of a simple app that uses NNTP protocol (I already know it has nothing to do with mail) ? I'd like to be able to check it out myself.

10. NewNOD

NewNOD Guest

Melkor asked:
    It is the protocal for news transfer. News readers such as Dialog, Agent, Xnews, Gravity, and for most users (I would guess), Outlook Express configured for downloading news. You can subscribe to news groups that cater to certain interests (alt.comp.anti-virus, alt.comp.freeware, etc., etc.). Using a news reader, you can subscribe, read and post to these groups. They are very similar to reading and posting on this forum, except you use another app connecting via SMTP instead of a browser connecting via HTTP.

My config consists of something a little more complex:

-Hamster News Server 1 connecting outbound to remote news server on 119 (collects news from remote server)
    -Hamster News Server 2 connecting to above Hamster on remote endpoint localhost:1119 (collects news from Hamster1 but filters unwanted news via scoring and regular expressions)
    -Dialog news reader connecting to Hamster 2 on localhost:119 to get filtered and scored news for reading

To post an article, it goes in reverse from the reader to Hamster2 to Hamster1 to remote server

Even though this seems complex and you might think this is cause for my problem, I bypassed my Hamster config and tried to connect directly to the remote server via port 119 (NNTP) using Dialog, XanaNews and the old stanby Outlook Express, and connection failed there, too.

As I said, placing these apps in the IMON exclusions allows connection, but I'm curious why this is a requirement.

11. NewNOD

NewNOD Guest

I screwed up and said:
    Should have said "NNTP" instead of "SMTP" in the above.

NNTP is for news; SMTP is for mail.

Sorry.

12. hayc59

hayc59 Guest

also fixed all my problems!! Nice work Eset!! ;)

13. Melkor

Melkor Guest

OK, but as I've never had any experience with news accounts (I just created one), HTH do I use it? o_O

I use Outlook Express 6.0 & my new NEWS account is something like "user@myISP.com", or at least that's the email I entered in the setup windows. So WTH does that mean? Does this mean that a news account is equivalent to an email account? If so, what's the difference? How do I send a message to a news address ? Is it like sending an email to an email address ? Do I just dispatch an email to 'user@myISP.com'? But then, I'll just be sending a simple email via protocol SMTP, not NNTP! So how does this @$%&# work?

14. martindijk

martindijk Registered Member

Great job and thanks to the Eset Mods, everyting in working order, Kerio opens fine again, IE don't give any startup probs, looking for the start page, excellent job performed by Eset, thanks guys, (running Me and XP)

cheers,
    Martin

15. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

Hi :)

I just updated now after uninstall, reinstall yesterday and my nod32 says version 1.575 20031208 not 20031209.

Is this right?

Snowbound

16. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Mine reads the same, so appears so :D

Cheers :D

17. snowbound

Thanks blackspear :D

With all the problems some people were having with yesterdays update, i just wasn't sure.

Snowbound

18. martindijk

martindijk Registered Member

Hi Snowbound,

Yes, your version is correct.

rgds,
    Martin

19. snowbound

Thanks Martin :D

Snowbound

20. hayc59

hayc59 Guest

same version here!! :D

21. dave s

dave s Registered Member

Thanks Jan (and all at Eset)! The two new downloaded files fixed my connectivity issues with XP Pro and Home.

best regards,

dave

22. Buster

Buster Registered Member

:D

Thanks to all at Eset.

Sluggish problem solved. My IE and Outlook are now loading at normal speed on my Win98SE system.

Great work Eset!

Rgds

Buster

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.