small question : internet explorer and global hooks

Discussion in 'ProcessGuard' started by Infinity, Nov 1, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Infinity

Infinity Registered Member

well the title is saying anything...should I let this be checked or do I uncheck the global hooks on IE and explorer?

is there any possiblility this could be a vulnerability for my system? I think it is but I need someone else to back me up.

thanx in advance (and thank you for the message handling too btw :D )

bye

2. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

You can if you wish, no problem if IE as on your prot list. Though if it is just a couple of alerts and gives no detrimental effects just ignore it. - I do :)

HTH Pilli

3. Infinity

Infinity Registered Member

Thanx Pili, just the thing I needed. have a nice eve however a busy one will be more suiteable I guesso_O

bye

4. nameless

nameless Registered Member

I noticed Internet Explorer grabbing global hooks and "access physical memory", while I had learning mode enabled. I have no idea why it would need either, but the latter one really grabs my attention. I don't think it's anything nefarious, but certainly seems weird.

Anyone else notice the "access physical memory" thing, or have a clue why it does that?

5. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

There are certain legit things that need it. For example if you go to Microsoft's site and into their games area, you can test your computer to see if it is up to running a given game. If you try that with access to physical memory blocked, Internet Explorerer does an ungraceful exit(crash).

6. nameless

nameless Registered Member

OK, but I don't use Insecure Explorer unless I have to, and I haven't used it at all since installing PG 3.0. Not even for Windows Update.

7. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

I hear you, but since I use one major non Microsoft app that insists on having IE installed and running, I just secured it, use it, and haven't had any problems.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.