Small Business Server 2003

Discussion in 'Port Explorer' started by Vivi, Nov 13, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vivi

Vivi Guest

I installed Port Explorer 2.0 on a fresh install of SMS 2003.
    Immediately after log on, when the desktop is being built, I receive a DNS error.
    "Domain Name System (DNS) encountered an error and need to close"
    Then I am not able to make any outsite connection that requires a name resolution, for example I can connect with Internet Explorer by IP but not by name.

2. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Hi Vivi, What other security software are you running, firewall AV AT etc?

3. Vivi

Vivi Guest

Hi Pilli,

Thanks for the fast response.
    No AV, no AT, no security software, only the SMS 2003 distribution. This is a test machine running under VMWare.

Vivi

4. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Hi Vivi, you will have to await a response from DCS on this one as I am not familiar with VMWare but I know that DCS are, this may not be until Monday Perth time.

I have run Port Explorer 2 successfully under Server 2003.

Cheers. Pilli

5. Vivi

Vivi Guest

Thanks.
    I confirmed it works under Windows 2003, the problem seems to be with the DNS service under SBS 2003.

Vivi

6. Dan Perez

Dan Perez Retired Moderator

Hi All,

Regarding confirmation that the issue is not evident on Windows 2003, did you have DNS Server service running on it with the default EDNS implementation? I know that some servers and some firewalls (for instance the Cisco Pix line) have trouble dealing with the Enhanced DNS implementation of Windows 2003 DNS. If you think this might be possible you might try disabling the EDNS feature by running the following from the command prompt

dnscmd /Config /EnableEDnsProbes 0

I believe a restart of the service will suffice but it may be necessary to reboot the server.

I've found that the compatibility issues with EDNS are such that I always disable this feature on every deployment of a Windows/SBS 2003 Server.

Hope this helps,

Dan

7. Vivi

Vivi Guest

Hi Dan Perz,

Thank you for your help.
    Unfortunately, it did not solve.

Vivi

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.