Smadav antivirus. How is it, is it a full av suite or just for usb protection? Has anyone tried it?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by rockstarrocks, Apr 15, 2017.

1. rockstarrocks

rockstarrocks Registered Member

Anything guys? It doesn't look like a scam, however i am a little paranoid freak.
    Thanks in advance.

2. mWave

mWave Guest

It's not a scam, it is real, but I really don't recommend using any of those sort of products to really protect you... Just my opinion. You're better off with just using WD with SmartScreen + UAC (if you know what you're doing) or a free AV suite like Avast Free than something like that IMO. lol

3. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

As mWave said, it's not a scam, but it's also not very good. Just about any little known antivirus which like this one which is using its own signatures, rather than using signatures from a well known antivirus like Bitdefender or Avira, is going to have very poor detection rates, and most likely serious issues with false positives.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2017
  4. NiteRanger

NiteRanger Registered Member

I'm using it to protect against infected USB devices

5. rockstarrocks

Guys, thanks a lot for the replies.

6. rockstarrocks

How does it performs against those nasty & annoying "shortcut viruses" which comes with infected usbs?

7. B-boy/StyLe/

B-boy/StyLe/ Registered Member

I haven't use Smadav but I know that MCShield3 or USBFix can deal quite well with the "shortcut viruses" and save you some time to repair/clean it yourself.

8. rockstarrocks

Well i am currently using this setup on Win 10 creators update. IMHO defender is the only av which doesn't make Windows unstable. I was getting those horrible bsods with another 3rd party av.

9. rockstarrocks

Thanks, will give them a try :)

10. mWave

mWave Guest

Btw my first reply is about SmadAV and not MCShield. I didnt use usbfix so I cant even comment on that one

11. rockstarrocks

yeah, i knew it was about Smadav and not McShield ;)

12. Duotone

Duotone Registered Member

SMADAV is specifically for USB protection... It has decent detection, anti-exe/script/macro (USB) features, also good for cleaning those shortcut viruses, and restoring hidden files its much better than MCshield IMO.

13. B-boy/StyLe/

B-boy/StyLe/ Registered Member

But MCShield3 and USBFix are specifically for USB protection as well. I don't see how SMADAV will be better than MCShield3 since restoring the affected files can be done manually with 2-3 commands but it is easier for the users to use something with a GUI. I used both programs to restore files with hidden attributes in the past and they never failed to do so...

14. Duotone

• SMADAV not only detects USB viruses but other malwares, MCshield also missed other hidden files by viruses(even ShielaUSB shield detects what MCshield missed);
    • it prevents execution of windows scripts(VBS, JS, PowerShell, etc), and unknown programs in a USB; and
    • constantly updated.
    It includes other functions as well, anti-ransomware, etc...haven't tested it yet, best thing to do is try it and compare.

15. rockstarrocks

So, i gave SmadAV a try today. I selected quick scan , got this msg "unfortunately your computer system is NOT GOOD. smadav found two infected registry keys". I found this in the log.

Infected Registry Values :
    => (Default)
    -HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\jpegfile\shell\Open\Command
    -Lost Key
    => (Default)
    -HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\pngfile\shell\Open\Command
    -Lost Key

Now, i am no IT expert but these does not appear to be infected(broken maybe), so why these are shown as infected registry keys? Is this a FP?

16. Duotone

Most probably...

Last edited: Apr 17, 2017
  17. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

I installed this and ran a scan. It detected four registry keys. I'm not exactly sure why they were detected so I uninstalled it.

When I installed it Kerish Doctor warned me that Smadav changed some settings which would prevent some programs running. I told Kerish to revert the changes, but they are just part of Smadav's protection, e,g, it can prevnet software from running from a flash drive.

18. Duotone

That has happened to me, some lost registry keys were detected... but I just ignored it!

19. rockstarrocks

Apparently in free version you can't add exceptions, also false positives doesn't give confidence to the end user, however it's part and parcel of the system.
    So i tried to raise this concern on their forum http://smadaver.com/
    Forum is mostly in Indonesian language with some english sprikled around(there is an sub-forum in it for English speakers).
    I had to use Google translate to create a new thread, as i couldn't register without knowing which buttons do what.;)
    I haven't heard from them yet.

20. Uitlander

Uitlander Registered Member

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.