Slowing down PC

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by djalminha, Dec 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. djalminha

djalminha Registered Member

Hi PC friends
    I have a big problem. I´m using windows XP and last days my comp is freezing.
    I defragment with: Diskeeper, defragler, Advanced Defrag, Free registry defrag(eusing), ultra defrag and some Giory defrag program or WE. :p
    Whit these programs i had defrag and optimized disc but it wasn´t help.
    My comp is still slow. What can I do ?
    Is there a solution ?
    Thank you for helping me. :'(
    Best Regards Djalminha

2. Jim1cor13

Jim1cor13 Registered Member

Hi djalminha :)

On first glance, it would appear to me that it is very possible that one of your many utilities may be at the root of your problem or has caused additional problems. I would suspect registry defrag is more hype than useful, just my opinion, and doing something of this nature could cause issues, especially regarding the windows registry database.

As far as all of your defrag utilities, is there a reason for using so many, or did you just try these because of your current problem? Do you recall installing any new software before the symptoms began?

It is difficult to pinpoint the problem without additional information regarding the timing of your problems. You could try restoring to a system restore point *before* the recent slow down to see if this may help. I would suggest you take time to test the integrity of your hard disk, first running a windows 'check disk' which you can schedule to run after a restart, making sure to check the box for finding and fixing errors.

Do you have a stable disk image available? Perhaps restoring this could more easily solve your current issue. There are many variables that can cause your issue. A big one is any form of registry corruption that could cause decreased performance, especially allowing any utility to 'defrag' the registry as this can cause some forms of corruption. The easiest way to resolve this, is knowing when it started and what changes if any, were made previous to you noticing the slow down. May I ask what prompted you to perform a 'registry defrag'? Was it simply trying to see if it would help?

I hope some of the above helps you to find a solution in some way. I have first hand experience at the over use of certain utilities, especially registry related that can cause more harm than good if one is not sure of what they are attempting to accomplish. Also consider potentially some form of malware that recently found its way onto your hard disk and is using up your system resources.

If you can provide additional detailed information, perhaps others can add more helpful steps to take. It does not sound like an issue that any of the utilities you tried would be effective at curing.

Jim

Last edited: Dec 11, 2012
  3. TheKid7

TheKid7 Registered Member

For a start I would do the following:

1. Run a Memory Test from a bootable Memory Diagnostics disk such as Parted Magic LiveCD, Dr.Web LiveCD, KUbuntu Linux LiveCD, etc. All of these have an option during the boot process to test the memory.

2. Do a hard drive diagnostics, preferably with the hard drive manufacturer's bootable CD. If Windows is able to run most of the time, you could do a hard drive S.M.A.R.T. check with various freeware programs such Passmark DiskCheckup.

3. Install, update and do a scan with Malwarebytes AntiMalware to see if Malware could be contributing to the problem.

Let me know the results. If nothing shows up in the above tests, I will try to think of some more suggestions.

4. Fuzzfas

Fuzzfas Registered Member

If the previous suggestions fail, you may try the golden rule:

FORMAT, reinstall Windows and then install 1 or max 2 utility per work you need.

A format is like a bubble bath for a computer. Be it wrecked up registry or malware eating up your resources, your PC will come up clean and shiny. :D

5. TheKid7

TheKid7 Registered Member

I would add a "zero write" to all sectors of the System Partition or full hard drive. This will give the hard drive a work out and will wipe out all data on the System Partition or full hard drive. Giving the hard drive a work out may push a partially failing hard drive to fail.

6. djalminha

Ok first thank you and to others.
    The problem was begin when I was play games and shooting with Fraps. So I think that Free Registry is not involted in my PC problem but I belive you so I´d remove program anyway. I had installed Norton Internet Security for testing, Is may be for that ?
    Thanks all

7. OldMX

OldMX Registered Member

Usually computer freezes are caused by hardware issues, start checking ram/disk and power supply with a digital multimeter.

8. djalminha

9. jo3blac1

jo3blac1 Registered Member

can't really see it. I assume it found malware. i think you could do everything what has been suggested above however it may take your hours to do scanning, hard drive checking, etc... I would just format the HD and put a fresh windows on it. I would also recommend you beef up your computer security.

10. Keatah

Keatah Registered Member

In this case, I see you have 3 options. The third option I present is nothing but a huge waste of time (and money).

1- toubleshoot the problem methodically and carefully till you have identified a positive cause and can verify it.

2- reformat the drive and reinstall and restore all your applications and userdata.

3- Use all the tools at your disposal, this means speed-up-my-pc stuff, defraggers, registry cleaners and optimizers, driver subscription services, computer repair packages, internet boosters.. All that. All of that is snake oil in problems like this. None of it is likely to do anything more than wasting your time.

11. pinso

pinso Registered Member

Having a good antivirus should be the first thing anyone should do when encountered with a problem like slow system. All the steps mentioned are good from OP, malware and viruses are the major and the only problem resulting in slow system.
    I play games too and use Frap at the same time, no problem till now. What i would suggest you is use COMBO FIX, believe i have helped my friend who had a really crippled system and 95 % probem were fixed by using that program.

Try it give your feedback.
    Download from : Here

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.