Slower Smart scan times

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus/Smart Security Beta' started by Matthijs5nl, May 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Matthijs5nl

Matthijs5nl Guest

Hello all,

My scan times (Smart scan) are really a lot slower in comparison with ESS 4.2.
    So either there are performance issues with the scanning engine, or the default Smart scan profiles have drastically changed. Both on ESS 4.2 and ESS 5.0 beta I used completely default installations with completely default scan profiles. On both version I made exactly one change in the settings: disabling the splash startup screen.

I performed three Smart scans now with the beta.

First scan: total scanning time 00:42:09 - number of scanned objects 488737
    Second scan: total scanning time 00:41:28 - number of scanned objects 488345
    Third scan: total scanning time 00:41:07 - number of scanned objects 488160

On ESS 4.2 my Smart scan times averaged 00:33:30 and the number of scanned objects were some lower if I remember correctly.

Are you guys experiencing the same?

2. Thankful

Thankful Savings Monitor

I'm running custom scan with smart optimization and the scan times are about the same as version 4.2. I don't usually run smart scans.

Last edited: May 7, 2011
  3. yongsua

yongsua Registered Member

You must know this

4. IcePanther

IcePanther Registered Member

Hello,

It would seem logical that, if ESS 5.0 scans more objects than 4.2, it takes more time to do so.
    Anyway, I ran a full system scan (custom parameters, same as in v 4.2) and didn't notice a big difference.

5. c2d

c2d Registered Member

My results:
    First scan: total scanning time 00:19:08 - number of scanned objects 58 226
    Second scan: total scanning time 00:03:19 - number of scanned objects 58 034
    Third scan:total scanning time 00:01:58-number of scanned objects 58 020

it looks ok

6. Matthijs5nl

Matthijs5nl Guest

As you guys can see the scans were performed with different virus signature database versions, that is why you don't see the effect of smart optimization.
    But that is not the point, the point is that Smart scans without the effect of smart optimization (so after a virus signature database update and therefore a reset of the cache) scan are around 8 minutes or 24% slower with version 5 in comparison with version 4.2, both with default setup.

7. nodyforever

nodyforever Registered Member

my scan (custom scan) past documents:

1º - 2 sec - enable smart optimization

2º - 20 sec - disabled smart optimazation

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 7, 2011
  8. Matthijs5nl

Matthijs5nl Guest

I performed two more scans, and scans have speeded up and number of scanned objects have gone down. So I think I was worried about nothing and that after two (or something like that) more scans Scan speed is on par again with version 4.2.

Fourth scan: total scanning time 00:38:33 - number of scanned objects 463708
    Fifth scan: total scanning time 00:35:31 - number of scanned objects 432147

9. toxinon12345

toxinon12345 Registered Member

ThreatSense engine speed need to be improved while scanning clean files

10. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Sounds like you're not talking about v5 which has improved overall scanning of files (especially clean files) manyfold. Just make sure that you have Smart optimization enabled for the scan profile you use and cloud is enabled as well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.