Slow XP Boot w/NOD32v4

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by jr7777, Nov 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jr7777

jr7777 Registered Member

Just upgraded to NOD32 v4. After the upgrade, my PC boots very slowly if it boots at all. During the boot process, it hangs at "Applying computer settings." If I remove v4 and reinstall v2.7, there is absolutely no issue with booting.

I have searched thru the forum for a solution. However, so far, there does not appear to be a resolution.

Any suggestions?

2. othersteve

othersteve Registered Member

For troubleshooting purposes, you could try disabling the startup scan momentarily, rebooting, and then noting performance differences (then reenable it afterward).

Alternatively, you can lower the scan priority to Idle from Lowest and see if that accomplishes the same thing. It's easy to do; simply enable Advanced Mode in the ESET GUI, choose Tools > Scheduler on the menu to the left, and select the bottom two entries (one at a time), choose Edit on each one, and follow through to the end of the customization wizard. A dialogue will appear where you can set the scan priority; set this to Idle. If this works, you can leave it that way and still be protected.

-Steve

3. jr7777

jr7777 Registered Member

Steve:

Thanks for the suggestions. However, I am not sure they are relevant. Will these affect the operation of the PC that early in the boot process?

JR

4. othersteve

othersteve Registered Member

I'm really not sure to be honest. If you want to really dive into the source of the problem, why not try bootvis? It'll reveal what precisely is hanging for how long during boot.

-Steve

5. jr7777

jr7777 Registered Member

I guess I was hoping that someone (especially from ESET) would have figured this out by now without me having to do all the research. As it is now, it is just as easy for me to stick with v2.7 on the one offending PC that I have.

JR

6. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

A suggestion has already been given, but we're yet to learn whether disabling startup scan tasks made a difference or not.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.