slow update servers

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by CyberMew, Feb 20, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CyberMew

CyberMew Guest

i am using the commercial version after using the trial version, but updates seems very slow for me. i only have 4 servers listed, u1a, u3, u4, u5...and all of them downloads at 10kb/sec max and decreasing

not sure if it happened on my trial version but this is very slow even on the commercial one!

2. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

256 kB/s at home here, 800-900 kB/s in the office

3. CyberMew

CyberMew Guest

are they any other official servers that i can add? because i am on cable and the speed is like 700kb/sec

4. Capp

Capp Registered Member

Go to "Update" settings in NOD control panel.
    Go to "Settings" and click the "Advanced Button"

Make sure you settings are correct in there and see if that helps :)

5. CyberMew

CyberMew Guest

yep, they are correct, no proxy servers or anything of that sort..they should have more than 4 update servers.. hundred of thousands users just using that 4 servers..isnt that too slow?

6. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Have you tried just leaving the servers on "Choose Automatically?"

Cheers :D

7. CyberMew

CyberMew Guest

thanks for helping. before i manually change the sv, it is very slow, thats why i changed it to the 1st sv(which is ABIT faster)

8. Trooper

Trooper Registered Member

That is what I do as well with no probs. :D

9. CyberMew

CyberMew Guest

so is there anything i can do? i hate to install a program and it takes about 10 mins to update a 1k+kb file

10. Marcos

There must be a problem with internet connectivity at your ISP. I doubt anyone else has experienced the same problem.

11. Visiting

Visiting Guest

I don't doubt it at all. There have been many posts in the past with people having update errors/issues in their log files, myself included. Sometimes it'll go two or three hours before it actually gets a server and gets a successful connection in the log. There is nothing wrong with my ISP connection, everything else I have works and updates perfectly fine.....just NOD having these issues.

12. Marcos

Could you please confirm you're a registered user and have the server set to automatic selection? Do you have a permanent Internet connection or dial-up?

13. Visiting

Visiting Guest

Yes Marcos, I'm a registered user and have an always on connection. Have been for many years. This really shouldn't be a surprise to you....there have been numerous posts about this of which you've been a part!

14. CyberMew

CyberMew Registered Member

Hmm sorry to bump this up but it's my first thread here. Yes, I am still experiencing the slow speeds. I understand that 1-2 months ago they just setup www.nod32.com.sg, so my suggestion is that maybe they can add a server here so updates would be just much faster.

15. Stephanos G.

Stephanos G. Registered Member

Very strange. I dont any problem regarding the updated. Actually are very fast. I have selected the 'automatically'.

16. CyberMew

Maybe, but here in Singapore is very slow. I am already subscribing to the fastest home connection here and it's slow. People at Eset might want to come over here and give it a try :)

My settings are all default, and are modified according to the sticky at the top. There should be no problems. I am also not behind a proxy, just direct. Heed my advice if you want more customers coming your way ;)

17. Mikkel

Mikkel Registered Member

Seems odd to me. Could you pls try one of these speed test links and give me the result back ?
    http://www.dslreports.com/r3/dsl/stest/
    http://msn.zdnet.com/partners/msn/bandwidth/speedtest.htm
    http://speedtest.mybc.com/
    http://home.cfl.rr.com/eaa/Bandwidth.htm

1. Do you have a soft firewall or a hardware one ?
    2. If hardware what setting do your NAT have as default ?
    3. If software what kind ?
    4. Is there some form of traffic chk in you network ?

Will do my best to help you :)

18. rabmail

rabmail Registered Member

I can't understand your problem. Exactly what slowdown are you seeing. I live in the same part of the world you do, and have an office in Singapore which is on ADSL and I have no problems. On cable where I stay, the download happens before I can even see it. Given that the updates are relatively small, speed is really not a concern.

I am in Jakarta at the moment and sometimes on a dialup connection, and even then I have no problem with updates.

Dick

19. HAN

HAN Registered Member

4 PCs with current (non-beta) NOD32. 2 are dialup and 2 are 128k ISDN. All update very fast. Nothing negative to report...

20. rumpstah

rumpstah Registered Member

Hi CyberMew:

Have you tried repairing your winsock? File here. This will also disable IMON (just re-enable after rebooting).

Last edited: Apr 21, 2005
  21. krumbs

krumbs Registered Member

I just ran into this problem, so I know all too well how you must feel. 2 things I would advise you to check: your firewall, and potential conflicts with your TCP/IP.

My problem was eventually caused by an IP-blocking program which interfered with my firewall's built-in IP-blocking mechanism.

First, disable your firewall completely (if you have one), and run an update. If it goes faster, then you may need to allow access for NOD32 Updates in your firewall. If NOD32 is already granted access in your firewall, then move to the second check.

Second check: make sure you have no IP-blocking software (or other software apps) which may be conflicting with your firewall/connection.

If you have no firewall, then check to see if you have any soft conflicting directly with NOD32's connection.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

krumbs out...

22. CyberMew

1. Eh, not sure why when tests are fiinished it will not redirect me.
    2. Your second link is dead.
    3. Not within my region though, and I can't find the link to speed test anyways.
    4. You want me to click all the links?

1. I have a soft firewall.
    2. N.A
    3. ZoneAlarm Security Suite
    4. Nope, just a normal user :)

I experience no slowdowns, except that the download speed I am experiencing when getting updates(like 1MB updates). I am sure the speed in your office is faster than that on my home connection. In fact, I have absolutely no problems with NOD32, just that the transferring speed is slow(2-12kb/sec depends) and takes a while to get that 1MB update. Don't tell me about virus signatures because they are much smaller, around 100kb. In my humble opinion, it should be above 100kb/sec because others are getting such nice speeds too. I hope you can understand what I am going through.

Nice to hear that :)

Nope I haven't tried. Because I am sure I didn't have much problems with my connection. Will try it soon and post results.

Edit: Okay, I already tried the file. Can't really test the speed now because there are no big files to test it on =\

Thanks for the luck ;)
    I think I don't have any other software applications conflicting with my firewall/connection or IP-blocking software. I am just a normal computer user :D

I don't have any problems with my connection, and usually when I experience slowness, it is because the other server is slow, or either its far from me.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2005
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.