Slow Startup

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Decapad, Apr 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Decapad

Decapad Registered Member

Hi - I have a 1 yr old Sony PC, well maintained. Yesterday it had a really slow shut-down - so I manually turned it off-probably my mistake doing that. Today when I boot up or restart - it takes several minutes rather than 30 seconds to get to the desktop. I tried "Restore" - no luck, same problem. This seems a bit ominous, and I'd like to get it back to normal. Any ideas? o_O Many thanks, D

2. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

you could try Bootvis, i think it has an option to just monitor without making changes to the boot process, i had a really good tutorial on it but i can't find it now.
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=664

but, you should never just turn off a PC, it's similar to dropping a needle on a record then doing abit of scratching. :ouch:

3. sosaiso

sosaiso Registered Member

What happens when you do that?

I've done that a lot when my comp just freezes. >.<

4. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

I have a little button on my computer case and when my computer freezes, I press this button and my computer reboots.

5. Heco

Heco Registered Member

Hi Decapad,
    If i were you, i would examine ATA/ATAPI IDE controllers in Device Manager. Sometimes when you "savagely" turn off a PC, the transfer mode may be affected (changed into PIO mode). If this is the case, the only solution is to remove all the controllers(primary, secondary and master) and reboot. Windows will reinstall them in UDMA mode again. This trick must be used with caution though (if any other solutions have failed to solve the problem!) and in recent computers only.
    Cheers:D

Last edited: Apr 11, 2006
  6. Franklin

Franklin Registered Member

You could also check the event viewer.May help to pin down some probs.

Control panel-administrative tools-event viewer.

7. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

u can also try defragging ur hard disk, using a registry cleaner and/or disk cleaner. also check ur startup items via msconfig.

8. bluebishop

bluebishop Registered Member

9. sosaiso

sosaiso Registered Member

So, after turning off my computer savagely, should there be things I should do automatically?

Scandisk takes a really long time, as well as defrag, so are they recommended if I shut down harshly? I fail to have a reset button. Compaq is worst brad on earth.

10. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

with windows xp, it will automatically launch chkdsk if necessary. also, as long as u dont scan for bad sectors, it should take very little time. i dont do anything after a "harsh" shutdown.

11. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

here's a video showing a hard drive working. it shows the power down at the end, if it's writting when you turn the power off i was always told it will scratch the HDD.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9eMWG3fwiEU

it's an old thread, i know, but it's a cool video :cool:

12. pvsurfer

pvsurfer Registered Member

First thing I suggest doing is to run scandisk...

My Computer>C-drive>Properties>Tools>Error Checking.

Check both boxes and let it do it's thing (you will have to restart). This will take a while, so find something else to do!

13. kathyL

kathyL Registered Member

(i'm sneaking in here to just make a post so, hopefully, i can save this to my favorites and come back to it after my current problem is taken care of - my XP is slow-starting, too - like 20 minues!!!)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.