Slow Startup and Shutdown

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by Eric J, Feb 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Eric J

Eric J Registered Member

I just installed the trial version of NOD32 on my ThinkPad X60. I was using AVG, which I removed prior to installing NOD32. When I boot the machine, it's not responsive for a period of time after the desktop is displayed. When I shut down the machine, I get messages stating that certain services or processes have not yet terminated and asking if I want to end them now (at the risk of possibly losing data). The processes/services vary. I suppose that NOD32 is scanning the processes/services during bootup and shutdown and that this is creating the delay, but I wonder if there is anything that I can do to fix this. I haven't had this happen with any other AV software I've used.

2. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Hello . It should not be NOD32 scannig stuff and blocking it from going off .

Have you ever had Norton installed on your machine ?
    Have you completely removed AVG ?
    What other security softwares you have installed ?
    Something specific that loads on start-up ?

I suggest you do the following :

1. Uninstall your current NOD32 from Control Panel ->Add/Remove programs
    Reboot
    2. Manually delete "ESET" folder from C:\Program files
    3. Start Windows Disk Cleanup to remove any unnecessary temporary files from your computer . Open Start->Programs->Accessories->System Tools->Disk Clean up , check all the things that appear and press OK

http://pandaman.my.contact.bg/dcu.PNG

4. Repair Winsock . Since NOD32's IMON works in Winsock level , it needs it in perfect condition and if something previous has corrupted it , you may need to repair it .

Windows XP SP2 only

Goto Start –> Run
    type cmd and click OK.
    Type netsh winsock reset
    Press ENTER . Restart immediately !

Note that there is a space between the commands , example netshSPACEwinsockSPACEreset

Windows XP and XP SP1
    Download and run http://www.spychecker.com/program/winsockxpfix.html
    Follow the instructions .

5. Download a fresh copy for NOD32 from ESET's download section
    http://www.eset.com/download/

6. Install it using Typical settings . Reboot

7. Update from Control Center -> Update -> press "Update now" . The latest version is 2027 as I am writing

8. Perform full Scan & Clean of all your hard drives using In-Depth analysis scan or better Blackspear's settings here

3. Eric J

Eric J Registered Member

Thanks for the reply! Norton was originally installed on this laptop, but I removed it right away. Besides the usual removal using Control Panel, I used the program that Symantec provides to remove anything left behind. I'm fairly sure Norton is gone. I'm also fairly sure that AVG is gone. I'm running Windows Firewall. The ThinkPad has its own security software related to the fingerprint reader, an encrypted logical drive, password storage, etc. These features didn't seem to affect Norton or AVG, so I hope that's not the issue here. I regularly clean my drive with CrapCleaner which removes old temp files, etc.

I'll try the Winsock repair you suggested and see if that helps.

4. agoretsky

agoretsky Eset Staff Account

Hello,

What sort of network connection does your IBM/Lenovo ThinkPad X60 have, and do you use IBM/Lenovo's Access Connections software to manage your network connection(s) or the Microsoft-provided software, i.e., the Wireless Zero Configuration service?

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.