Slow POST/Boot after clone

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by MMastalir, Mar 10, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MMastalir

MMastalir Registered Member

This is driving me nuts. I cloned my old HD to a new one and all seemed fine...EXCEPT: When I remove my old HD and boot from the new cloned HD, it takes 10 times longer. It hangs on the Bios splash screen, and then it hangs before it starts to boot windows. Once Win2K boots, all is fine!

I was thinking it had to do with my MBR, but it seems that the motherboard/bios is still looking for my old HD. In fact, when it is connected, the system boots fine from the new cloned HD, even thought the old HD is not even listed in the boot sequence.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, as this is driving me NUTS!

o_O

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello MMastalir,

Thank you for choosing Acronis True Image (http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/).

Please check your BIOS settings. First of all, please refer to your motherboard User's Guide and make sure all the settings in BIOS are correct. Also please make sure your new hard disk is plugged correctly.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

3. MMastalir

Checked every possible setting in the bios and all jumpers are correct. All looks good. Boots fine and fast with the old drive, but hangs with the new drive.

4. Acronis Support

Hello MMastalir,

It is really strange especially since everything is fine as soon as you boot operating system. I would recommend that you contact your hardware vendor for possible solution. Acronis True Image itself cannot influence BIOS and other stuff that take place before the operating system boots up.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

5. MMastalir

I agree, but I don't know at what point in the POST the bios is looking for info from attached devices and MBR.
    Is it possible that the MBR is different?

6. Acronis Support

Hello MMastalir,

If you clone the drive to another one the MBR is copied along with all the other data. It seems that the problem in some hardware setting. You may make an experiment (providing you still have your old drive with all the data) by formatting this new drive and installing the same operating system (Windows 2000 in your case) to it from the Windows Installation CD. After that please boot this drive and see whether it still boots slowly.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

7. MMastalir

Yes... I actually did just that and the system boots fine, which tells me that there has got to something funky with cloning process or the mbr..?>?>?

8. Acronis Support

Hello MMastalir,

This is really strange problem. I can recommend that you try to fix MBR after cloning either using Windows Installation CD or in the way proposed at https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=55317 and see whether the problem remains.

Also please clarify whether you cloned under Windows or after booting from Acronis Bootable CD?

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

9. MMastalir

Thanks. I will try that.

I initial the clone from windows, then it restarts on proceeds with the cloning operation.

10. MMastalir

Ok... I replaced the MBR completely and have the same problem. As long as the old drive is plugged in, the system boots fine. As soon as I remove the old drive... the system boots , but takes 10 times as long!

I can't figure it out.....

11. MMastalir

FIXED

Apparently Western Digital hard drives require jumper removal when they are the only drive on the ide chain!! If the jumper is set to Master, the Mobo will look for additional drives which are not there.... causing it to hang a minute.

12. beenthereb4

beenthereb4 Registered Member

Just another classic case of True Image Screwing up. I have been inventing computers for 55 years and I know that they could write the software to set the jumpers correctly. If you read this board, you will see hundreds of thousands of problems. Maybe even millions, I have not counted them. I wish I would have read all of them before I bought my Toyota. Right after I imaged my computer, my Toyota blew it's engine. I rest my case! ;)

Last edited: Mar 11, 2005
  13. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

I wonder if this is the reason we had record temperatures in San Francisco today also? Software errors might have affected the tilt of the earh enough to raise the temperature a good ten degrees above normal.

On the other hand, if you don't look closely at the jumper diagram on a Western Digital drive, it's possible to miss that the Single drive and Master with Slave jumper settings are different. Most brands don't make this distinction. I've seen older system that would not even boot at all with the wrong setting.

14. MMastalir

In TI's defense, the cloned drive does work great, no that WD's jumper settings are correct.

15. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

And the weather here in the San Francisco Bay area has returned to normal. Thank you for resetting the jumpers. :)

16. danger69

danger69 Registered Member

Oh my freaking GOD MMastalir you are a genuis. I wish I searched this post 2 months ago. FINALLY MY COMPUTER BOOTS UP FAST. Sheeshhh!!!!! Thanks again. Your are the man.....stupid WD and their jumpers....And TI is da bomb.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.