Slow PC need help.

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by AsH_, Feb 15, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AsH_

AsH_ Registered Member

OK.

I am sorry for abusing, being a bit rude earlier but I am annoyed of my PC.

Problems: Slow PC, Lag in Games, Slow Net.

PC Specs: Alienware AMD 64+ Windows XP Pro 1.5mb Connection

What I Have Tried: RegSeeker, Ad-Aware SE ( Fully Updated ), Spybot S & D, Spyware Doctor, Registry Mechanic, Disk Defragmenter, HijackThis, Disk Cleanup, EasyCleaner, Avast! Anti-Virus, AVG 7.0, Trend Micro Online Scan.

Can anyone please specify a program that would help me?

DONT ASK YOU COULD HAVE A FIREWALL SLOWING YOU, TOO MANY PROGRAMS UP

I don't have any programs that will slow me down.

Programs I Have Up
    * Steam

Yep, that's all. :rolleyes:

What programs I have installed . . .

* Mozilla Firefox 1.0
    * mIRC 6.14 ( nnScript )
    * MSN Messenger 7.0 Beta Build 7.0.0425
    * ZoneAlarm Pro
    * Steam
    * Ad-Aware SE
    * Registry Mechanic 4.0
    * Adobe Photoshop CS & Adobe ImageReady CS

Sorry for being SO specific but I am really worried. This comp cost me 9k :(

It's beautiful for gaming, but it's weird it's so slow. Please help me ;)

2. AnthonyG

AnthonyG Registered Member

A friend who had a similar slow down problem tried nortons disk doctor he said that fixed the problem fine.

You can get it inside norton system works.

But if you dont want to buy that there may be a similar free program to try that someone may know about or a google search may help.

Hope this is possibly some help to you.

*Edit* this is some unqualified help here but have you tried defragmenting the hard drive that sometimes helps me when things start to drag.

3. Capp

Capp Registered Member

Something else to keep in mind...

How much memory do you have? What processor do you have? What Vid Card do you have? How many running processess do you have?

All of these can slow a computer down to a halt when it comes to games even if the system is spyware/virus clean.

Check to see how much stuff is running in the background and how much is starting up w/ Windows.

Tip: Don't run anything if it is not needed while playing Net games. It will slow it down.

4. AsH_

AsH_ Registered Member

Wow. Thanks for the quick replys and interesting info.

Yep. I have mate :'(

Running Proccesses? How could I explain... I'll post a SS :p

btw, i'm on Alienware AMD 64+ Windows XP Pro, to be advised that Alienware costs 9-10k and is the best gaming computer in the world. Not just for gaming though lol :D

Running Proccesses

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 15, 2005
  5. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

Have any of the scans found anything? (viruses,adware/spyware)
    Just went to Alienware's site, and i must say it looks :cool:, so i understand your frustration. :)

6. nick s

nick s Registered Member

7. Capp

Capp Registered Member

If you paid 9-10k for an Alienware machine, You got screwed majorly. For starters they sell them at Best Buy for less than 2 (worked there for 3 years). and secondly, I built a pc that is better than alienware pc's for less than 1k. More Ram, Faster Processor, Better vid card, etc...

They are great gaming computers, don't get me wrong, but they are not worth 10k.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2005
  8. Paranoid2000

Paranoid2000 Registered Member

In Task Manager, go to View/Select Columns and check the CPU Usage box. This will add a column in the Processes tab showing the total CPU time taken up by each process. Click on the column heading to sort the processes in order of CPU time to identify which ones are taking the most time and if there are any CPU hogs, consider whether you really need to run them (note the "System Idle Process" is just a measure of the time spent doing nothing - on a typical system it should be at the top of the list for CPU utilisation).

Also please confirm if your PC seems to be slow all the time or only when connected to Steam. Steam has had problems with overloaded servers so your best bet may be to switch to games that don't require online authentication all the time (not least, if Steam ever goes offline, you can kiss Half-Life 2 goodbye).

Finally you could try contacting Alienware support - they are supposed to be pretty good and you may as well get your money's worth. :)

9. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Last edited: Feb 17, 2005
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.