Slow Image creation to a network drive

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by gej, Nov 20, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gej

gej Registered Member

Hi,
    I'm using ATI 8 patch 774 to make images from my pc to an Ximeta (www.ximeta.com) network drive. The drive is on a Dlink 514 wireless router, but the PC and the drive are on the wired ports of this router. Making images is very slow. An incremetal backup of my 18 gb hard disk reports to be about 4 hours, a full backup is about 9. This is just too slow to be useful. I need to know whats wrong and how to make it faster.

Thanks,
    GEJ

2. Asimov

Asimov Registered Member

I think the main reason could be your wireless connection.
    How far is your PC from the wirelss drive ? The speed of the wirelss reduces very quickly if it has to travel through a building.

I hope this helps.

3. Tsu

Tsu Registered Member

Hi..

1 - 11 mbps on the wifi is always advertized with an * as it is never achieveable due to latency - multipathing, interference, packet size, other traffic on frequency etc in addiiton to distance as noted by the other poster.

2 - the Ximeta combo drive is USB2.0 or Ethernet and you say it is on the A/P - therefore running ethernet. This is really academic, but, you aren't going to move data faster than 10 M because of the limitation of wifi even if other devices can directly access the drive at 100 M.

You didn't say how full your 18gb drive is so we don't know if you are trying to backup 5 gb or 15 gb - regardless I accept that you are about 20X too slow compared to moving data down a 100m ethernet pipe - which you are not.

I do 23 gb from a XP notebook to a USB 2.0 drive connected to a W2K Server with max compression in about 50 minutes across a 100 M LAN. So my naive rule of thumb is 2 minutes/gb on 100M. On 11mbps wifi you can expect 20min/gb as okay.

4. Tsu

Tsu Registered Member

Final thought that may be causing the A/P to further work against you; if it is trying to maintain a reliable connection it may be down shifting to data rates of 1, 2, 5.5 Mbps if 11 is N/G .

I know that none of this is helping you boost throughput but it may explain why you need to seek an alternative backup strategy, e.g. plug the USB drive directly into your PC occassionally to get a full backup and live with the slow incrimental wifi backing up over night.

5. gej

gej Registered Member

You are correct about the wireless bandwidth, that is why I don't do backups over the wireless link. As I mentioned in my first post, the backup is being done over the wired ethernet connection. So the path is from my PC over the ethernet cable through the router and out a wired port to the Ximeta drive. I'm backing up both a C and D partition of about 18 gbytes. True Image tells me its about 9 hours to do this backup over ethernet, when I connect the Ximeta to the USB port it tells me 3 hours, however this PC has a 1.1 USB (guess I ought to upgrade to USB 2.0 which would help). As a test I started a full backup from the C partition to the D partition and True Image said it would take 22 minutes. I guess the final issue that complicates things is that the Ximeta drive is not true TCP/IP. There is a driver that must be installed, I guess that driver is a little slow.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.