Slow file copy after NOD32 installation

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by ICantStandNorton, Sep 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ICantStandNorton

ICantStandNorton Registered Member

Hi All,

~Snipped~

So I completely reformatted my computer, reinstalled XP SP2, did the Windows Updates, then installed the trial version of NOD32, followed by all the drivers and normal software on my machine.

~Snipped~

I first noticed it when I downoaded a 512MB zip file -- it downloaded at a normal speed, but when it got to the "99% of download completed - Copying file from temp folder" stage, it took roughly 10 minutes for that operation to complete, and slowed my PC to a crawl. I checked the Task Manager and nod32krn.exe was active. ~Snipped~

I was beginning to think this was an issue with the IMON aspect of NOD32, but then I transferred ~3GB of files from a DVD -- it took almost 20 minutes! Doing a CD copy (using the copy entire disk option) with Nero seemed to take longer too.

Can anyone help me solve this problem? I would really appreciate it, ~Snipped~

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 3, 2007
  2. ICantStandNorton

3. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Hello ICantStandNorton,

In order for others to better assist you with your problem, some comments not related to your problem have been removed.

4. The_Duality

The_Duality Registered Member

See here for your problems with downloading. It appears a few people have had that problem.

As for the file copy problems, it really depends on what kind of files you are working with. Archives and packed installers, for example, can take a while to be scanned - therefore slowing your PCs performance.

You would most likely see the same symptoms of poor file system performance with other AV packages. Most likely worse, in fact. NOD is one of the lightest. If needs be, disable AMON before a large file movement.

5. ICantStandNorton

I wonder if maybe my hard drive has gone bad -- the reason I unstalled Norton, reformatted, and installed NOD32 was because everything suddenly was reduced to a crawling speed on my computer for seemingly no reason, with running processes (especially Norton's) having insane numbers of page faults (in the millions). For example, Nero would take over a half hour to to burn a DVD.

Now, Nero is having the same problem again. Also, when I installed my HP printer after installing NOD32, my computer froze and my hard drive made some loud clicking sounds. I had to do a hard reset.

I just tried copying a folder with half a gig of mp3 files between two locations on my C: drive (not even from a dvd or the internet). I attached a screenshot of the results. The first one is with my machine idle, and the second with my machine doing the copy. Took somewhere's near 10 minutes to do the copy, and the only really process that ever registered use of the cpu was explorer.exe, IE (I had this page open), csrss.exe, taskmgr.exe, and system idle process (of course).

System Idle
    idle.JPG

Doing ~500GB file copy
    copy.JPG

Doing the copy a different time
    sc1.JPG

I have a secondary hard drive which is running Vista -- it has no problems when I boot to it. Think this might be related to my hard drive rather than to any AV software I'm using? Or any other ideas?

Thanks so much for assisting me!

6. The_Duality

The_Duality Registered Member

If your hard drive is making strange noises, then I would start think about replacing it. I had an old PATA drive I ran backups to, and one day during the copy process, it took aaaaages to run, and the hard drive started "crunching"... Needless to say it was now dead, along with my backup :p

You could head to http://www.majorgeeks.com and look for a hard drive analysis tool such HDTune... maybe you could find out something new about this drive of yours.

If you find that your HDD is fine, then I would suggest contacting ESET support.

Hope this helps :thumb:

7. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat Registered Member

Along the Shorelines somewhere in New England
    How much RAM does your system have? If you're downloading large files....a system with inadequate RAM (IMO, I have my clients at 512 megs minimum for XP)...you'll be hitting your pagefile.sys (virtual memory) a lot..causing slowdowns when working with heavy programs and/or large files. An antivirus program will want to scan those files...adding to this swapfile usage.

8. ASpace

ASpace Guest

@ ICantStandNorton

Hi !

You have too many running processes.All these mail clients,browser pages open , chat/IM clients and many other programs at the same may slow all your computer operations . I don't know your computer specifications but in my opinion you should start with cutting down some of them.

Then try to exclude some file types and make NOD scan only the most important file types :
    Open AMON -> Setup -> "Detection tab"
    Press the Extensions button . Uncheck "Scan all files" and make the settings as shown in this screenshot

Attached Files:

9. GAN

GAN Registered Member

How do you figure that 39 processes is too many? I find it very hard to believe that is the problem here. A clean windows installation with the drivers and tools required for the hardware and all features to work on my laptop i'm already above 39 processes.
    As long as the processes behave normally (do not use a lot of resources) you could have 70 as well without any issues like this. 39 processes isn't high at all.

10. ASpace

ASpace Guest

You'll hardly ever find someone with 70 proceses running without complaining about some kind of slow-downs

39 may be OK , may be not , depending on the configuration and the processes themselves . I only suggest this , may help , may not , but definitely won't hurt.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.