Slow Download of Updates

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by krumbs, Apr 13, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. krumbs

krumbs Registered Member

Hi everyone:

I posted a similar request on the Outpost Firewall forum, but have not yet been able to resolve this issue. So, I am posting this here in case some of you have the same configuration I have and have run into a similar issue.

The problem: Slow downloads of NOD32 anti-virus updates when Outpost Firewall (2.5 or later) is running.

Observations: When I shutdown the firewall, the updates downlaod faster.

The NOD32 files have full access and rights in my firewall (marked as trusted app). No blocked connection message in my firewall logs, just that the data transfer on updates is slow.

What I am having trouble figuring out is whether the firewall itself is the problem (2.5 and up) or the version of NOD32 I am running (latest 2.12.3). Any conflicts between the 2? o_O

Thanks in advance all.

2. tobamore

tobamore Registered Member

Hello krumbs, I too used Op 2.5 and nod32 but didn't notice your problem, I do, however have broadband which may negate the issue. I am now using Op 2.6 and nod32 beta and still see no issues re downloads, perhaps something else is the cause?

#
    Toby.

3. krumbs

krumbs Registered Member

Thanks for your reply Toby.

I am on broadband too, actually (DSL). And I have tried with both Outpost 2.5 and 2.6 (no problems with Outpost 2.1). Something in your post caught my attention, though, and it is that you are using the NOD32 2.5 Beta, which I am not. Maybe the fix actually went in NOD32 2.5, but I am unsure of the stability of it. :doubt:

4. NAMOR

NAMOR Registered Member

Do you have any special rules defined in outpost for NODKRN32? Maybe you are allowing it access to only one or two update servers?

Mine just looks like this:
    Where the protocol is TCP
    and where direction it outbound
    and where remote port is HTTP
    Allow it

5. krumbs

krumbs Registered Member

My NOD rules in Outpost looks EXACTLY like yours, Namor, but my speed hoevers only around 0.76kb/s to 2.27kb/s. When I shutdown the firewall, it shoots to 35kb/s and higher.

I don't think it's because I have it set to choose the update server automatically because the transfer rate changes as soon as I close the firewall.

6. tobamore

tobamore Registered Member

Krumbs, I can only reiterate my point and say that I have no slow down issues with my setup(s). I would like to also add that the beta seems even more stable than the last release, maybe it's worth a go for you too?

#
    Good luck,
    #
    Toby.

7. NAMOR

NAMOR Registered Member

You should give the beta a try. From a post on the Outpost forum it sounds like the problem went away with the beta. As for problems with the beta's stability I have not had any with it. Of course, everyones system is different so mileage will vary.

8. krumbs

krumbs Registered Member

Well, the problem must be Outpost then...because I just installed the Beta...and the slowdown is there still when the firewall is up. This is really annoying. Grrrrrr.... :mad:

9. windstrings

windstrings Registered Member

I know you already gave nod rights in your firewall.. but specifically go and pick this file:
    *** Make sure nod32krn.exe has permission to connect in your firewall exception rules

10. NAMOR

NAMOR Registered Member

Do you see anything strange in the Outpost logs? I wonder what could be causing the slowdowns... I have the NOD beta and outpost 2.6 running. I just did a manual update of NOD and recieved it in 2 seconds.

11. krumbs

krumbs Registered Member

Was there supposed to be a link windstrings? If yes, then it didn't come through.

BUT, I HAVE GOT GOOD NEWS!!! One word: Protowall. I was using it as my IP block manager and though it wasn't running (from what I understood anyway), I noticed the checkmark (quite by accident) to the left of it when I looked into my network settings. I am guessing that it might have conflicted with Outpost's ip blocking.

Anyway, it's fixed...whew! Thanks a lot for your assistance everyone!

12. NAMOR

NAMOR Registered Member

Glad you got it all worked out. :D

13. windstrings

windstrings Registered Member

I guess I sent that a bit wierd.... what I meant was..... just go into your firewall , assuming your using xp-sp2 and go to exceptions and browse to the actual file found in c:\program files\eset and pick the actual file named "nod32krn.exe"
    Hopefully the next vesion won't have this issue.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.