Slow Computer

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by JerryM, Oct 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

I have a friend using Windows XP whose computer is running very slow. He has several programs running at start that are large (all are photo programs) and when trying to disable them he learned that he must log in as Administrator. His son set up his computer and did not inform him of this and how to log in as administrator. Without going into why he has not asked I will just say he does not want to do it. It has been 5 or more years and I doubt the son even remembers.

Is there any way to get around the requirement to log in since he does not have any password?

I have recommended he install CCleaner, MBAM free, and WinPatrol. I believe he can disable start of the programs he desires to disable with WP.

Any suggestions for people who are not much smarter than an oak stump??
    Thanks,
    Jerry

2. SpikeyB

SpikeyB Registered Member

3. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Thanks, Spikey. Have you ever used it?
    Regards,
    Jerry

4. Carver

Carver Registered Member

I take it he can get to the desktop, if he just wants to login as admin, how about startup/run/mscomfig/boot.ini/safeboot click apply then ok, you will be prompted to re start. When the computer restarts you will get a screen that will ask you if you want to log on as a admin or a user. To clear the password can be done through the bios I also use Xp my computer asks me if I want to enter the setup or Bios when I first Bootup I think its delete or tab. Once in Bios the bottom of the screen has further instructions. There are 5 setup screens to look through, find the proper option and clear the password or create a new one. At the end save the changes and at he blank screen re start the computer.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2013
  5. philby

philby Registered Member

Thanks, Spikey. Have you ever used it?

The suggestion is a good one - I've used it many times. Works very quickly if the password is standard dictionary / number stuff with no obscure characters.

philby

6. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Thanks. I suspect that he will not be able to understand what he is to do. I appreciate the help, and I am going to let him work this out with his son, who is in Maryland and we are in NM.
    Jerry

7. SpikeyB

SpikeyB Registered Member

I have used it and get the passwords about 90% of the time. Would your friend be able to download the iso and burn to disc? If so the rest is actually very easy.

8. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

There are various programs which will actually remove the admin password.

I use a program called Windows Password Breaker Professional which I paid for and creates a bootable CD/DVD or USB flash drive, which you then boot from to remove the passwrod, but there are several free options too.

9. Noob

Noob Registered Member

I managed to break into a Windows 7 log in password once, took me quite some time and failed a couple times. (Tried like half a dozen methods)
    I know its not an admin password but its as close as it can get i guess. :D

10. Keatah

Keatah Registered Member

Just be careful with CCleaner. these cleaning programs tend to delete logs and reset all kinds of settings, thus making a bigger mess then before.

11. Sadeghi85

Sadeghi85 Registered Member

12. andyman35

andyman35 Registered Member

Last edited: Oct 5, 2013
  13. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Is there an Admin account showing in the Users section of the control panel? XP has a hidden admin account which is accessed in SAFE mode and typically that account is not password protected by default. If he can login to that account he could simply change his own account type from Limited User to Admin.

14. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Hi Vic,
    I don't know as I have not seen his system. However, using MBAB and CCleaner he got the speed up to an acceptable level. He plans to buy a new system with W7 installed soon.

Thanks,
    Jerry

15. jnthn

jnthn Registered Member

Since JerryM's friend was only able to scan with MBAM under a limited account and got some speed difference, I think it would be wise to go into safe mode and try access the hidden Administrator account and scan with MBAM on that account as well. And might as well change the limited account to admin if needed, that is if the hidden admin account is even accessible.:)

16. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

I can vouch for this software. If you do choose to try it, I hope you are able to get the machine in working order again.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.