slow computer - please help!

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by firefox, Jun 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. firefox

firefox Registered Member

My computer sometimes slows down randomly, and I can't figure out what's wrong. A program in the win32 system folder called "hpoipm07.exe" ate up tons of space a few times, but it claims to be connected to the printer and checks out okay, so I don't think that's it. I also have Norton Antivirus, which I know can be a pest sometimes.

RAM: 256 MB

The computer's 5 years old now, too, so it might just be that I need a new machine to support things.

Any help with this frustrating problem would be greatly appreciated. Thank you very much!

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 23, 2005
  2. Capp

Capp Registered Member

Hey FireFox...welcome to Wilders!

Just an FYI..wilders doesn't support HijackThis logs anymore so I'm sure a mod will remove it soon.

Other than that,
    Have you scanned your system with any Anti-Virus/Anti-Trojan/Anti-Spyware apps to get it cleaned?

if so, which ones?

3. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

firefox,

As mentioned by Capp i removed your HJT log as they are not allowed here anymore. See here for info and help with that,

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=42148

I left the rest of your post intact so others may be able to help u here.

snowbound

4. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Administrator

That program is an HP Photosmart printer driver, see here. So that's a non issue.

RAM is a bit lean for XP running a reasonable load. Assuming the PC checks out fine I'd either bump the RAM up or be parsimonius with the number of processes running at startup.

If the PC was a step or three below what passed for power user 5 years ago, it should still be inherently fine, it just might need a little help in the RAM and HDD areas, maybe just RAM. By the way, what's the CPU and clock speed, that would give a better sense of whether you may be fighting a losing battle on speed.

Blue

5. firefox

Sorry about that, my bad.

6. firefox

Pentium 4 CPU at 2.00 GHz, and 1.99 GHz clock speed, I think.

I scanned it with Norton and everything checks out good. You know what I think it was? The darn WINDOWSBLINDS SKIN! God, I feel like such an idiot. e_e; I got rid of it and went back to a classic XP skin, and everything works smoothly now. It looks less cool, but hey, it works.

As for upgrading, I'm not going to bother. I'm planning to build a whole new machine from scratch in less than a year anyways.

Thanks for all the help, and sorry to bother you guys.

7. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

No bother. ;) :D

Glad u got it worked out. :cool:

snowbound

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.