slow computer - please help!

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by firefox, Jun 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. firefox

firefox Registered Member

My computer sometimes slows down randomly, and I can't figure out what's wrong. A program in the win32 system folder called "hpoipm07.exe" ate up tons of space a few times, but it claims to be connected to the printer and checks out okay, so I don't think that's it. I also have Norton Antivirus, which I know can be a pest sometimes.

RAM: 256 MB

The computer's 5 years old now, too, so it might just be that I need a new machine to support things.

Any help with this frustrating problem would be greatly appreciated. Thank you very much!

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 23, 2005
  2. Capp

Capp Registered Member

Hey FireFox...welcome to Wilders!

Just an FYI..wilders doesn't support HijackThis logs anymore so I'm sure a mod will remove it soon.

Other than that,
    Have you scanned your system with any Anti-Virus/Anti-Trojan/Anti-Spyware apps to get it cleaned?

if so, which ones?

3. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

firefox,

As mentioned by Capp i removed your HJT log as they are not allowed here anymore. See here for info and help with that,

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=42148

I left the rest of your post intact so others may be able to help u here.

snowbound

4. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

That program is an HP Photosmart printer driver, see here. So that's a non issue.

RAM is a bit lean for XP running a reasonable load. Assuming the PC checks out fine I'd either bump the RAM up or be parsimonius with the number of processes running at startup.

If the PC was a step or three below what passed for power user 5 years ago, it should still be inherently fine, it just might need a little help in the RAM and HDD areas, maybe just RAM. By the way, what's the CPU and clock speed, that would give a better sense of whether you may be fighting a losing battle on speed.

Blue

5. firefox

Sorry about that, my bad.

6. firefox

Pentium 4 CPU at 2.00 GHz, and 1.99 GHz clock speed, I think.

I scanned it with Norton and everything checks out good. You know what I think it was? The darn WINDOWSBLINDS SKIN! God, I feel like such an idiot. e_e; I got rid of it and went back to a classic XP skin, and everything works smoothly now. It looks less cool, but hey, it works.

As for upgrading, I'm not going to bother. I'm planning to build a whole new machine from scratch in less than a year anyways.

Thanks for all the help, and sorry to bother you guys.

7. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

No bother. ;) :D

Glad u got it worked out. :cool:

snowbound

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.