Slow big files transfers

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by Fidelius, May 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fidelius

Fidelius Registered Member

Hello,

I am used to transferring big files (several GBytes) from my hard drive to a USB memory stick formatted in NTFS. It is incredibly slow, several minutes and moreover, I can't do anything else but waiting for my PC to give me the hand again. I looked at the activity of NOD and it I see huge amounts of reading and writing. I know these files have no virus and do not need to be scanned.
    The proof Nod32 is involved is that when I transfer the same files with a Linux Operating system, the task is done in less than one minute.
    I use Nod32 v6.0.314.1 and Windows XP Pro 64 bits edition on my Core2Duo 1.86Ghz PC.

Thank you for your help.

2. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

What kind of files do you transfer (executables, media, documents, etc.)? Does disabling advanced heuristics for newly created files in the real-time protection setup make a difference?

3. Fidelius

Fidelius Registered Member

I transfer media (movies, AVI) and documents (chess databases).
    I saw "advanced heuristics" in several locations. (I translate to english)
    I have chosen this path :
    RealTime protection of the system files -> Advanced configuration. Then I unckeck both "advanced heuristic when the file is executed" and "advanced heuristic when the files are executed from a removable media".
    It is still very slow but my PC is not completely blocked during the transfer to the USB stick, I can now navigate from a window to another one.

Excluding big *.AVI, *.MKV or *.CBG (chessbase games) is the solution. The ideal would be to exclude only BIG medias and documents.

4. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

The mentioned media files are not scanned completely and I don't see any reason why scanning them should slow down the system. Advanced heuristics is not used for scanning other than PE files. Please create a Process monitor from the point when the issue occurs, compress it, upload it to a safe location and PM me the download link.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.