Slow backups when using recovery cd

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Hiawatha, May 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hiawatha

Hiawatha Registered Member

Is it normal for an image backup (drive C to a second internal hard drive) to take considerably longer when initiated from the recovery disk rather than from within Windows?

2. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

Depends on "considerably". It does take longer on my system I would guess maybe twice as long HD to internal HD. If you are writing to an external USB HD it may be even longer depending on how good the rescue CD Linux driver is for your external drive.

3. Hiawatha

Hiawatha Registered Member

Sorry I was a bit vague about the time. When using the recovery disk I did not record accurate times but it would have been roughly 2 to 3 times as long.
    I always do backups to the second internal hard disk and then copy the files to external usb drive or dvd as required.

I am wondering why the recovery disk should be so much slower. After all it has a simpler task to do since it does not have to worry about the effects of other running processes.

edit added:
    I should perhaps also have added that under Windows, my times to do a full back up (C to D) of about 20 Gigabytes is around 12 minutes to back up and 7 minutes to verify. Using 3633 the times are about the same as the previous build and I find this performance quite acceptable.

Last edited: May 25, 2006
  4. seekforever

Your times to backup the 20GB in Windows is a good typical time I would say.

I speculate that when you boot into the Linux recovery environment with the CD you are booting into a fairly basic Linux environment so it can have all it needs and still be totally memory resident. As a result the optimization that is present in Windows is not available. If you look at the manuals for modern motherboards you will see that the components and features of the board are often focussed on a Windows XP environment.

5. tommyjw

tommyjw Registered Member

I, too, am experiencing the same problem. I am backing up my 80G laptop disk to a USB drive on the Acronis 8 version and it takes about an hour. Using the 9 version, it takes 5 hours either backing up or restoring!

Does anyone know why?

6. seekforever

Is the backup (not the restore) being done with the CD or within Windows?

7. tommyjw

I am booting from the CD. It is not being done within windows.

8. seekforever

Sounds like the Linux environment driver problem to me. A workaround is to create a BartPE bootable CD. The TI 9 plugin for BartPE is contained in the B3567 and later builds. Search this forum for BartPE for more info.

9. feiyangliu

feiyangliu Registered Member

Same to me,I did backup from CD,too slow(50min.,but ghost8.3 only needs 6.5min.),but someone said it would be much faster under windows.

You can try.*puppy*

10. tommyjw

I have no experience with Linux. Even in the event that I did, I shouldn't have to "jump through hoops" to get their software working. It's too bad, this was a great product and since version 8 is probably not for sale any more, I won't be able to recommend it to friends until it's fixed.

Last edited: May 28, 2006
  11. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Hiawatha, tommyjw and feiyangliu,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We are very sorry for the delay with the response.

Please be aware that, as seekforever has already mentioned above, the most probable reason why the backup creation\restoration\validtation time is considerably longer (more than 2 or 3 times longer) when Acronis True Image 9.0 Home is operating in Linux based Acronis Rescue Environment, i.e. when using the 'Full' version of Bootable Rescue CD or Acronis Startup Recovery Manager, than when Acronis True Image 9.0 Home is running from under Windows is poor support for some of your hardware devices such as hard drives, hard drive controllers, motherboard, etc.

If you encounter "speed problems" when creating\restoring\validating backups in Linux based Acronis Rescue Environment then, first of all, please make sure that you use the latest build (3677) of Acronis True Image 9.0 Home which is available in the Product Updates section of your account at Acronis web site.

You can find the full version name and build number by going to Help -> About... menu in the main program window.

To get access to updates you should create an account then log in and use your serial number to register the software.

Please uninstall any previously installed build by following Start -> Settings -> Control Panel -> Add or Remove Programs -> Acronis True Image, prior to installing build 3677.

Please create new Bootable Rescue CD after installing the update, boot your computer from this CD, try creating\restoring the image once more and see if the problem still persists.

If the problem still persists with Bootable Rescue CD created using the latest build (3677) of Acronis True Image 9.0 Home then please try booting with "acpi=off noapic" parameter as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

If that does not help either then please provide us with the following information:

- Create Acronis Report and Linux system information (sysinfo.txt) as it is described in Acronis Help Post;

- What is the exact size of the backup archive you created\restored\validated?

- How much time did it take exactly to create\restore\validate this particular backup archive?

- Where do you store this backup archive?

- Try placing this particular backup archive to any other location (e.g. any internal, external or network drive, CD, DVD, etc.) and see if the problem persists. Inform us about the result.

Then please submit a request for technical support. Provide the files and information collected in your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with the most suitable solution as soon as possible.

EDIT: Build number updated to the latest one

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

Last edited: Sep 21, 2006
  12. tommyjw

Sorry, I haven't visited this post in months. Hope you are still watching.

I will try what you recommend in your post but what do you mean by "Linux based Acronis Rescue Environment"? Does that mean that the rescue bootable cd is made with the Linux OS? If so, what is the version 8.0 built on?

Thanks.

13. seekforever

The Full version, selected at startup, is Linux but no idea of the flavor. The Safe version uses DOS and therefore may not provide USB, Firewire support unless your motherboard and BIOS provides the suitable trickery. Most don't.

14. jeremyotten

jeremyotten Registered Member

Dude truly build a BartPE bootcd with the mustang plugin and your as fast as in windows ;-)

because.... your in windows :)

15. wtsitmn

wtsitmn Registered Member

YES, SAFE MODE IS THE PROBLEM. DO NOT USE SAFE MODE UNLESS YOU HAVE TRIED EVERYTHING ELSE AND YOU ARE DESPERATE.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.