Slow backup usb drive

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Zumwalt, Jun 30, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Christopher_NC

Christopher_NC Registered Member

Don't know about the documentation, but here's a thread discussing acpi and quiet off with quotes from Acronis Support...
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=137418&highlight=acpi%3Doff+noapic

And, Howard, I'd still like to hear your views on your statement:

From July 2nd in this thread.

2. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

General PC stuff:

Advanced Configuration and Power Interface

3. Christopher_NC

Here's about the clearest explanation of acpi and apic I've found on these forums:

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=747186&postcount=2

4. Howard Kaikow

Howard Kaikow Registered Member

Thanx.

I forgot about the Power Options.

I use "Always On".

Is that acpi= off or acpi = on, in Linux speak?

5. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

6. Christopher_NC

Menorcaman -- thanks for posting a much clearer version of your answer, with active links!

Can I draw you into this discussion? Using FAT 32 on an external USB HD makes sense to me -- both for the ease in then copying 4 GB files to DVD, and perhaps, in limiting the file size, USB errors under Windows might also be reduced.

Yet Howard has said:

Care to comment, or, better, elaborate? Others, please join in.

My aim, once I get a reliable external USB HD set up, is to use the most reliable file system, for TI to read and write in both Windows and Linux boot modes.

7. Howard Kaikow

Howard Kaikow Registered Member

There is no question that NTFS is a more reliable file system.

Check any book/article/whatever that attempts tp present the facts and you;ll find a discussion.

AFAIK, there's only three reasons to use FAT 32:

1. You want to be able to boot with, say, a Win98 floppy, or wharver, that does not understand NTFS. Indeed ALL but 1 of my drives are NTFS. I kept the C drive (not where my main OS lives) as FAT 32, in case, I need to boot with a floppy to access the C drive.

2. You have a multiboot system, and some of the OS don;t know NTFS. Folkes really should not being using anything older than Win 2000, but ...

3. You have a program that cannot deal with NTFS. Get rid of the suckers.

But there's NO reason to make an external drive, used for backup, anything but NTFS. If you need to break up a backup into smaller chunks that should be handled via the backup program, not by using an inferior file system.

I'll say no more (on this).

8. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hi Christopher,

I'm not sure why Howard Kaikow said NTFS is best for external drives o_O. I presume he will be pleased to enlighten us (EDIT: He has - see above). Certainly, NTFS is a far more secure and robust filing system but, according to numerous independent tests carried out when NTFS was first introduced, FAT 32 is faster when reading and writing files.

However, my own reason for using a FAT 32 backup drive is for the convenience it provides of also being able to burn the 4GB .tib files to DVD with Nero as DVD-ROM (UDF) data compilations (well, at least until Acronis finishes sorting out the new direct imaging to DVD feature :p). This means I don't have to reset TI's default options to split the image file manually as my main backups are carried out to a separate NTFS formatted internal hard drive

Regards

Last edited: Jul 6, 2006
  9. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

NTFS has been around for a long time now and various articles I have read state that the early speed advantage FAT32 exhibited has been virtually eliminated in "real life" by the improved HD, CPU speeds, OS design, etc.

10. simusphere

simusphere Registered Member

With the fat32 partition you can increase the cluster size to 16K or 32K for more effecient transfers of large chuncks of data.
    Edit: It probably doesn't matter that much if you have an up to date computer with all the latest hardware and CPU speeds. Hence going to NTFS. The only reason I stick with fat32 on the USB drive is for transfering lots of tar files to other linux boxes.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2006
  11. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello simusphere,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please accept our apologies for the delay with the response.

Please note that Acronis Drivers (that one you have downloaded) actually are the part of the build. Usually the latest build contains the most current version of the Acronis Drivers. However, during the installation of the product the drivers might not install properly for some reasons. Therefore, the re-installing the product or installing the latest version of Acronis Drivers (separately from the product) usually solves this issue.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

12. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Christopher_NC,

We are sorry for the delayed response.
    Please note that it is not necessary to reinstall Acronis Drivers if you add/remove/change the drives. However, you might need to update the drivers if you change motherboard of the computer.

Please note that prior to the release of the next build it might be several updates of Acronis Drivers present. This package also contains some fixes on I/O operations level so it might be helpful in some cases.

Please note that while running Acronis True Image 9.0 Home in Windows it uses Widows drivers. So the Acronis Drivers (SnapAPI drivers) basically provide the information about Windows drivers to Acronis Software and allows Acronis Software to operate with the hardware. If the hardware is not recognized by Windows operating system that Acronis True Image 9.0 Home (while running in Windows) will also not recognize this hardware.

Yes, you are right. Acronis Drivers does not affect the functionality of the Acronis True Image Bootable Rescue CD. It has its own drivers. The full variant is based on the Linux operating system and uses Linux drivers for getting access to all hardware devices. The safe variant is based on the DOS environment and usually doesn't provide you with an access to the USB, PCMCIA, SCSI, RAID devices and the network. We recommend you to use the safe variant only if the full one doesn't work.

Yes, the first statement is correct. We recommend to create a new Acronis True Image Bootable Rescue Media for each new build. Because each new build brings such improvements as better hardware support etc.

Please note that you will not be able to change/add drivers to the bootable CD by yourself. This changes can be made by our Acronis Developers Team. Should you experience a problem with your hardware when accessing from rescue mode, please provide us with the exact vendor and model of the device you use and contact Acronis Support Team. We will help you solve the problem.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.