Slow A2

Discussion in 'other anti-trojan software' started by wildman, Dec 20, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wildman

wildman Registered Member

o_O Updated (Free) A2 today (No problem). Proceeded to do a scan, stopped during the scan and stayed stopped for a very extended period of time then started again, this cycle repeated itself quiet a few times. Anyone else experiencing the same situation? Also noticed machines over all performance has slowed down also. Anyone notice this tendency also?

Thanks
    wildman
    :(

2. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

I took it off my machine until they get their definition updates cleaned up.
    I was using the beta version.

3. Andreas Haak

Andreas Haak Guest

If you used the beta version it should be obvious that there are many glitches and many updates a day. Thats what a beta version is for ;).

In fact the behaviour wildman discribed can be triggered by the beta version of a² when using archive unpacking. Unpacking costs a lot of time and in fact while unpacking aborting the scan doesn't work.

4. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Andreas

Thanks for your fine program. I am aware of beta versions. That is why I mentioned that I was using the beta. Thanks again.

5. wildman

:( Until it is no longer BETA, or things have settled down quiet a bit, I also have removed it from my machine.

Thanks
    wildman
    :rolleyes: :doubt:

6. puff-m-d

puff-m-d Registered Member

FYI, there is a non-beta version available, just be sure to un-tick the beta option at the control center.....

7. dog

dog Guest

Good Advice Puff
    ... but to others - Remember beta testing and reporting back to the developer helps improve the product for all of us. A little pain gives us great gains. ;) There is no other way to test such a multitude of configurations. ;) So if you are at all comfortable with testing betas, Please help the developer and do so. ;) It's not much of a price to pay for freeware.

Steve

8. puff-m-d

puff-m-d Registered Member

Hi Steve,

I agree with you, in fact you may call be a bet-a-holic :D .... If its beta, I tend to use it, whether freeware or a program I have paid for. Thanks for pointing that out, I just wanted others like the wildman to know there was an alternative since he did not like the beta ;) ....

9. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

You know, I was a little frustrated with the scan speed of the beta, also - but the idea of having all those unpackers delving into things that never usually see the light of day convinced me to just run the scan at the end of my night here (after I get home from work and get done checking any email I might receive).

Crank it up, check it for updates, start the scan and go to bed - it'll be done by the time you get up next morning.

My results from last nights' full scan were clean and F/P free, BTW.

Works for me. Pete

10. wildman

o_O I am now throughly confused, is it BETA or is is FREE? All indications are that it is FREE. I once again installed it last night, and ran a scan. It took over and hour and a half to do approx 13000 objects. Response of machine has once again slowed down. It is situations like this that have the wildman ranting and raving.

Thanks
    wildman
    :mad:

11. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

You can have the FREE version, but in your account you can choose to receive the beta version of a2, so you can go to the a2 website and choose want you want to receive...

Hope this help... ;)

12. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

Hi, wildman (and Merry Christmas to you!).

I have the free... beta on my computer (no "Guard" function, no "Task Viewer" ).

I'm not seeing any slowdown of the computer as a result of having finished the full scan - but then, I probably wouldn't, since I re-started the computer immediately thereafter.

If you're speaking of the slow-down experienced if you're trying to run a full scan while continuing to try and work/play on the computer , well, there isn't a solution for that - it's one of the most processor-intensive scans I've ever seen (and hence will slow up anything else you try to run while it's scanning). HTH Pete

13. wildman

:D Some will argue with me over this, but the wildman doesn't like unnecessary hassles. Therefore A2 has bit the dust and is off my machine.

Thanks
    wildman
    :(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.