Slitaz 3.0

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by Beavenburt, Mar 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Beavenburt

Beavenburt Registered Member

2. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

It looks really polished. Thanks for the links. I suppose it's fine running on 64 bit quad core cpus ?
    Originating from Switzerland I would expect meticulous attention to detail - even their low-end Swatch watches are excellent. :)

3. Beavenburt

I think 64bit is supported but don't quote me on that. Have a rummage around their website, i'm sure it's referenced.

4. linuxforall

linuxforall Registered Member

They don't have x64 version but their standard version should work with x64 CPUs, its currently working on my dual quad cores.

5. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

Tried it in Vbox. Very nice. However when I wanted to install it in Vbox the install rushes to 50% and then stops - I waited for about 3 mins-4mins then gave up. I must have overlooked something, but don't know what.

Slitaz Vbox.png

6. KikiBibi

KikiBibi Registered Member

Is this a rolling distribution? Do I have to reinstall each time a new version is out??

7. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

I think you can upgrade.

BTW. The Midori browser seems rather nice with adblock extension amongst several others, speed dial etc. It also seems pretty fast and they say it passes Acid 3. http://www.twotoasts.de/index.php?/pages/midori_summary.html

SliTaz is really nice - from setup hardware support even began download of 190.x something nvidia driver. Unfortunately I can't install Slitaz in Vbox from the iso. Maybe it requires an existing partition(s) made beforehand.

Edit: Nice Review. http://www.linuxcritic.com/slitaz-linux-30-lends-credence-phrase-small-powerful/

Last edited: Mar 31, 2010
  8. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

Yes, partitioning must be done before install. Now I know why the installer doesn't work in Vbox.

9. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

Beavenburt has started me on this. Time to replace my Ubuntus with SliTaz .. :p only joking for now, it would make a nice tertiary OS to play with. I want to install it soon to hdd.

SliTaz Firefox.jpg

SliTaz Package Manager.jpg

Slitaz Mplayer.jpg

10. Beavenburt

Sorry Ocky, have I awoken your inner distro hopper? :p

Slitaz is a mighty fine tiny os and livecd. However, I've tried it as a full time os and it's sadly lacking in some areas, at least for me. Though it may work for you? Still, it is great to play and experiment with.

11. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

Beavenburt you are right, hence my tongue smiley after saying it's time to replace my Ubuntus.
    However it's great in Vbox and as a live CD and the package management is one of the best I have seen. Lot's of useful tools as well. I am waiting with baited breath for the next cooking release. :argh:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.