Slimbook & Kubuntu 18.04 - Combat report 13

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by Mrkvonic, Aug 28, 2020.

1. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Friday the 13th. I mean Slimbook report no.13. 'Tis an ongoing review of my Slimbook Pro2 & Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver experience following a series of meaningful, real-life use cases, including ergonomics, performance, battery life, driver management, various regression in smartphone connectivity, DOSBox and system shortcut conflict, application hangs and crashes, and more. Have fun.

https://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/slimbook-pro2-kubuntu-combat-report-13.html

Cheers,
    Mrk

2. Stupendous Man

Stupendous Man Registered Member

Thanks very much, good read, as always.

In the article, you wrote,
    Not the same, but also in Driver Manager: I noticed not only NVIDIA driver 440 offered, but also 440 server, as 'recommended' driver. Perhaps there is some reason for that, but for a non-server system I don't see why the server driver should be recommended.

Different, but also regarding the system menu: when using the Applications menu in Kubuntu 18.04 Kickoff Application Launcher, sometimes the text in the Kickoff menu gets scrambled and unreadable. Flipping through the Applications menu sometimes fixes that, otherwise I restart the Plasma desktop to fix the issue. Not a serious issue, but annoying it is.

Me too. I thought the upgrade to 20.04.1 would be offered, by know, but not yet, so far. I'll wait for that, and perhaps some days more, if I'd have that kind of patience, probably not. ;)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.