Slightly OT BART PE Question

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by hgratt, Jan 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hgratt

hgratt Registered Member

Thanks to all who have helped me create a BART PE CD for ATI. I have one more slightly OT question.

I was able ( I think) to slipstream SP2 into my i386 file folder. However, when comparing it to the original i386 file folder there didn't seem to be many changes - a few extra folders and files with the slipstream date. But, most of the files retained their original install dates.

Is this observation correct or did I do something wrong? The pebuilder log file does indicate "SP2" in one of it's entries.

Thanks,
    Harvey

2. Texcritter

Texcritter Registered Member

I think it will depend on how old your version of Xp is, as this probably contains SP2 already the only differences should be any updates Microsoft has done to the SP2 pack

On my system the difference is 1124 Files and 60 Folders.
    This is with a one week old download of SP2

3. hgratt

hgratt Registered Member

The system in question had an original OS date of Sept. 2002. It was updated with all patches prior to the SP2 update - which I did when SP2 first came out. I assume (maybe incorrectly) that the SP2 update I did then did not affect the i386 file folder - it remained at SP1.

Given that the SP2 download is in the order of over 200MB (I guess it also includes SP1), I would have thought that the changes in the i386 folder due to the slipstream process would have been huge.

Thanks,
    Harvey

4. Texcritter

Texcritter Registered Member

My OS is January 2005

My i386 Folder = 452 Mb
    Sp2 Folder = 326 Mb
    Slipstreamed = 598 Mb

From the above figures a lot of files must have been identical

5. hgratt

hgratt Registered Member

Interesting. On my system I have:

Original i386 folder = 495MB, 6549 files
    SP2 i386 folder = 383MB
    Slipstreamed i386 folder = 555MB, 6799 files

It looks like this is behaving similar to your setup, so I guess everything is O.K.

Thanks for your time,
    Harvey

6. thomasjk

thomasjk Registered Member

Harvey, you may want to use Autostreamer http://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=223562 to do the slipstreaming. It can produce a .ISO file that you can burn to CD and have a bootable XP with SP2 CD.

7. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

nLite (now at v1.3 RC) from http://www.nliteos.com/ comes highly recommended. The website also contains an online user's guide. A piece of cake to use and the resultant slipstream worked a treat with Reatogo-X-PE and Mustang's TI 9.0 Home plug-in.

Regards

8. hgratt

hgratt Registered Member

Just tried it, but can't get it to work. I don't have an original XP CD, just the original i386 folder. I thought I could use the "use local windows share" option but I immediately get an "error 5" - something about an invalid procedure call.

I tried another download but got the same problem. Google indicates a variety of problems like this but know fix for my case.

Harvey

9. thomasjk

thomasjk Registered Member

If you have a recovery CD XP ISO Builder http://winfuture.de/xpisobuilder3_en may help you build an XP CD.

10. hgratt

hgratt Registered Member

No recovery cd for this machine. However, for my other machine (Dell Desktop), I did use the software you suggested to build a slipstreamed i386 folder for use with BART PE.

Thanks,
    Harvey

11. hgratt

hgratt Registered Member

Thanks for the info. I looked at the website - at this time I will just sit back with what I've already done. All I really needed was the BART PE CD with the Acronis plugin so I could speed up the image recovery process, while this other stuff is interesting and I've certainly learned alot - I don't see where I need to do anymore than I already have.

When I get some free time I intend to go back and play around with this software just to learn how to do it.

Thanks for input,
    Harvey

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.