SLAX Linux - Your pocket operating system - Review

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by Mrkvonic, Feb 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hi all,

Another fine distro:

"SLAX is a small, live Linux distro, based on Slackware. It aims to be light, friendly and useful. It's meant to fit onto antique USB thumb drives and run well on old hardware. And it features the sexy KDE desktop. Plus there's a revolutionary modules management. This fine list of features made it a worthy candidate for testing. The version chosen for this review was 6.0.9."

If you're interested:

http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/slax.html

Comments and suggestions are welcome.

Regards,
    Mrk

2. raakii

raakii Registered Member

3. lewmur

lewmur Registered Member

Thanks for the review. I d/l'd the USB version and got it working but I have a problem. It connects to the Net with Konguerer so I know my internet connection is OK. But when I open the Module Manager I only shows the modules already installed. When I click to Add Modules, it doesn't go to the Slax site but only shows local folders.

Edit: I found the modules at www.slax.org.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2009
  4. Eice

Eice Registered Member

Thanks for the review. The lack of ability to connect to wireless networks is rather worrying, though.

Any suspicions as to what the reasons might be?

5. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Lack of necessary modules (drivers) plain and simple. When you have X mb to fill with stuff, you have to shuffle between kernel modules, applications, GUI, documentation and whatnot. Sometimes, you get more hardware support, sometimes less.

The goal is to strike the best balance between usability and hardware detection. Of course, when you have only 200mb, it's a bit tough.

Mrk

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.