Skype?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by JerryM, Feb 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

I was asked about Skype, and am not familiar with it. I find it is a freebie for telephone use.

What is the latest, and is it safe?

Thanks,
    Jerry

2. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat Registered Member

Along the Shorelines somewhere in New England
    It's been around for a long time, I have a lot of clients that use it..sure cuts down on phone bills when you have the need to talk to people long distance. Example....I have a client with offices in New York City, over in Connecticut, and down in Brazil..they have group conference calls all the time. Skype saves them money!

For businesses there are even more robust packages, and conference phones that integrate with Skype.

Clarity can depend in a good internet connection, and if you have other traffic on your network...a router that supports QoS and especially VoIP traffic helps quite a bit.

3. Creer

Creer Registered Member

You can try Betamax like eg. voipdiscount.com, voipstunt, nonoh, webcall direct, etc, etc. Quality is very good.

4. NoIos

NoIos Registered Member

Skype is great. We use it a lot to call from home our mobile phones that are skype enabled with specific skype plans.

Security wise...I don't think there are any issues for home or personal use. Although I have some doubts if companies should use it for communications. It's for sure a way to save some money...even for companies.

5. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat Registered Member

Along the Shorelines somewhere in New England
    http://www.skype.com/security/security/

Skype uses 256 bit AES encryption.
    https://support.skype.com/faq/FA145/What-type-of-encryption-is-used

Google around, quite a few articles on even terrorists using Skype..and the NSA is offering billions to any firm that can offer some evesdropping solution to tap into Skype. The NSA is even frustrated.

6. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Thanks, All, this has been very helpful.
    Regards,
    Jerry

7. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

8. CloneRanger

CloneRanger Registered Member

9. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Jerry, my daughter uses it and I have no issues with it, nor my software.

10. lodore

lodore Registered Member

Hey Jerry,
    if you havent installed it already make sure you do a custom install and untick the sutff you dont want such as the toolbar for internet explorer and the extras.

11. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Thanks, I did not see this yesterday. I appreciate the help.
    Regards,
    Jerry

12. chronomatic

chronomatic Registered Member

That's well and good but who can be sure they have implemented the encryption properly? Has the code been audited by experts in the field? Who is to say there isn't an NSA backdoor in the code? (I don't care what the NSA says about offering money, it could just be a decoy to actually get more terrorists to use Skype).

This is why it's so important for all encryption software to be open-source.

13. linuxforall

linuxforall Registered Member

Quite safe, quite good, best quality for video and audio and even works on slow connections. This is how I stay in touch with my relatives across the globe in Linux or Windows.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.