Skype problems

Discussion in 'LnS English Forum' started by Thomas M, Dec 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thomas M

Thomas M Registered Member

Now I have to use skype from time to time :doubt:

So I have imported the one UDP-rule from the LNS-website and changed it according to the suggested port of my current (45116) skype-version.

However, I can not login at skype without allowing *ALL* traffic for skype.exe in the application filtering window :(
    Very secure, isn't it :mad:

So any help/comment would be appreciated!

Thanks
    Thomas :)

2. Frederic

Frederic LnS Developer

Hi Thomas,

You should try to identify which ports are really used by Skype.
    To do so select the !! attribute for Skype application in the Application Filtering, and the log will contain all ports Skype is trying to use.

Regards,

Frederic

3. Thomas M

Thanks Frederic for your reply :)

Well, (1.) Skype seems to use some strange port/protocols. Many people complain that it uses "proprietary" standards.

(2.) According to the manual it tries to use TCP port 80/443 in case other suggested ports are somehow blocked. However, my log indicates that it permanently tries to use a various range of ports between 5000-50000.
    It looks like P2P traffic. My log is flooded with outbound attempts of different ports/IPs.

So basically I have to open all ports for outgoing traffic :( Maybe I am wrong and some Skype experienced users have a solution?

Right now I feel that I could also deactivate my LnS....currently Skype transfers it into something like a swiss cheese ;)

4. Phant0m

Phant0m Registered Member

5. Thomas M

Hi Phant0m,

Thanks for the link :)

Have you tried opening the two TCP ports 80, 443 only?
    On my system skype.exe requires access to almost all TCP ports (1-20000) in order to connect to the sever :(

6. Frederic

Frederic LnS Developer

Hi Thomas,

I'm using Skype sometimes too, and yes you are right, in the application filtering part it's not possible to select precisely the ports.
    Until now, I had no port selection for the skype application. Trying just "80;443;45116" doesn't work. I've tried "1024-5000;45116" (for both TCP and UDP) and then it worked.

Frederic

7. Thomas M

Thanks a lot for your help Frederic!

No, your suggested ports are not working on my system :(

So, I use/allow Skype.exe on demand only... not very convenient, but there is still E-mail and other chat clients...Yes, and I might use the good old telephone from time to time ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.