SKPF just failed leak test 1.2

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by duke1959, Sep 14, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. duke1959

duke1959 Very Frequent Poster

Hello everyone. I just installed the free version of SKPF 4.23 which I had used awhile back and it always passed this leak test by setting Any other application to ask,ask, ask, ask, in the Network Security Applications Tab. It passes all the other ones it is said to pass on firewallleaktest.com as long as Application Behavior Blocking is enabled, but it is also supposed to pass leak test 1.2 without it enabled. The 4.2.3 version I used before was passed the 30 day trial as well, when it passed. Maybe it is a glitch in the web site today. Any suggestions?

2. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

Excuse the dumb question but --- what does SKPF stand for?

3. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

Hi duke1959,
    SKPF 4.23 will fail this leaktest if the Behavior Blocking is disabled.

Please remember that the actual test is: To replace an application (such as firefox) that as already been granted internet access with the leakest (rename the leaktest and move to, and replace that application (such as firefox)), then run the leaktest,... SKPF fails in recognizing the changed application,.. unless the "Behavior Blocking" is enabled

If the leaktest is simply run, then SKPF should intercept O.K.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 14, 2006
  4. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

Sunbelt Kerio Personal Firewall

5. duke1959

Thanks Stem, and how have you been? At 46, I guess I just didn't remember that SKPF won't pass leak test 1.2 unless APP Behavior Blocking is enabled, but I did at least remember it passed. LOL. I do know though that ZA Free doesn't have that feature and still passed the 1.2 leak test, but I'm not sure what you mean about just running it? I did download it and ran it when SKPF failed it. Anyway, I gave up on ZA Free. I was getting BSOD with new version (1 of them) and version 6.1.744 (2 of them) with AOL AVS on board. It may not have AVS the last time as I remember ZA blocking netbios and there was something about netbios being enabled in the message from the BSOD. ZA Free also blocked my PC IP address from going outbound to my Router IP address that I allowed. Which brings me to of course to a question for you. I haven't noticed SKPF logging these two things as blocked like ZA Free did, why do you think this is? Maybe it will later, but I don't remeber it logging them the last time I was using 4.2.3 either. Of course like I said at 46, I may just not remember it happening. LOL. Take care, I'll await your reply and thanks again.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2006
  6. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

Hi duke1959
    If you just downloaded, and ran the test, then SKPF should stop this.

On the default installation of SKPF, netbios (Microsoft File and Printer Sharing), and local comms are allowed as your LAN address will be placed in the trusted zone. If you check your Application rules, you will see the rules that allow access to the trusted zone.(if you then check the trusted zone you will see your LAN address). This will be why these comms are allowed. You can enable logging on the rules to check.

Attached Files:

• net.gif
      net.gif
      File size:
      71.8 KB
      Views:
  7. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

Just to show you, when the leaktest is run (without changing name etc), SKPF will give alert.
    The firewall rules are as you can see them in my last post.

Attached Files:

8. duke1959

hey Stem, after I checked what you showed me I had to change my Microsoft printing and sharing settings to match yours, and it asked me to allow or deny my IP address I guess. But anyway it still wouldn't pass the leak test. Also right after I changed the setting I got a BSOD. I didn't get one the last time I used this version, but I wasn't using AOL AVS either. I'm starting to wonder if that isn't causing these now. This happened with two different versions of ZA Free and now with this version that i never had trouble with. I can't think of any other new software that it asked if I had installed that I did other than AVS. Although the last 3 of the 4 BSOD have had different messages, the one common denominator has been AOL AVS. This has self protection and I wonder if that has anything to do with them? As far as leak test I still don't know why that it won't pass. i hope nothing is wrong with my PC, but I have never had a BSOD before using these Firewalls with AVS. I didn't get one with Comodo and AVS however, and had them running together longer than with either ZA free or SKPF, so who knows. Hopefully you might. See you later, and thanks so far with your help.

9. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

I am seeing a lot of post (on the web) concerning AOL AVS / problems.
    If the firewall is not blocking the leaktest as you say, then there is possibly a direct conflict somewhere. I will install AOL AVS on top of SKPF to see

10. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

Hi duke1959,

There is a conflict between AOL AVS and SKPF,.. this does cause a BSOD on my test PC. This can be corrected using a registry change, and no more BSOD,........ but,...... due to the installation of AOL AVS, the firewall is being bypassed.
    Removing the localhost from the trusted zone, and even blocking Firefox completely within the firewall,.. firefox can still connect out, and as you have found yourself, the leaktest 1.2 simply connects out (via AOL AVS).

So unfortunately, this combination is no good, and would advise you to replace either the firewall or the AV.

11. duke1959

Stem you are truly a great man. LOL. Seriously you are very good at this stuff, and at least I know now I'm not crazy or getting too forgetful. I did uninstall AOL AVS which I truly liked, and am currently trying the combination of Comodo Firewall and AVG Free to see if any slowdown. (Comodo seems to cause a delay after switching from one logged on account to the other logged one as it takes up to 10 or 20 seconds for that account to be fully ready.) Anyway thanks again because I liked having SKPF on board again, and wanted to use it with Antivir PE, because you can block the Notifier Window with Application Behavior Blocking. Wow, now that I think about it, you are really a great man for allowing me to do this. What do you think about AVG Free though as far as the lower scores than Antivir in the AV Comparitives?

Last edited: Sep 15, 2006
  12. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

Hi duke1959,
    Did you try this combination?

13. duke1959

Yes I did Stem around two months ago and they ran well together, but Comodo has been running ok so far, not noticing too much slow down yet. This may be to using AVG Free with it. Antivir just got an update that is said to help it run with less memory so I may uninstall AVG Free and try it with Comodo. I worry about something getting past AVG. Take care and thanks again for the help.

14. FadeToBlack

FadeToBlack Registered Member

15. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

The main problem with SKPF and AVS is the fact that once AVS is installed and allowed outbound (It needs to be allowed outbound for any connections to be allowed), the firewall is bypassed.

So your post/link is not a solution to the thread starters problem in this setup.

16. duke1959

Hey Stem. I had to go back to SKPF, and I'm glad I did as my PC is running much faster now than it did with Comodo Firewall. I know CPF is a very good one, but I like my speed. Maybe the next version will be faster. Anyway, SKPF 4.2.3 is passing Leak Test 1.2 now that AOL AVS is off my PC. I will install Antivir PE tomorrow and enable Application Behavior Blocking and then go through all those program allows. For now though it's time to get off this PC and watch some TV. Isn't that kind of awful to admit that? LOL.

17. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

Duke1959,

You can also watch TV while you are online if you get the connections done properly.:D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.