Size of incremental backups

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by pparks1, May 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pparks1

pparks1 Registered Member

I've just recently switched from using Acronis True Image Home 2010 to Paragon Backup and Recovery 12 Home.

Today, I was doing a little bit of testing. I took a virtual machine running Windows 7 and I installed Paragon B&R 12, and ran a full backup of my C drive. Using normal compression, that backup was about 5.9GB.

Then I created a text file on the desktop of the machine. From Advanced view, I went to Archives tab, right clicked on that C drive and choose Incremental backup.

I was surprised to see that my 1st Incremental backup file was 920MB in size.

So, I ran a second incremental file and it came out to 930MB in size.

Why in the world are these incremental backups so large? These backups were performed within minutes of each other and very little should have changed on the actual machines. Some log files and such.

2. pparks1

pparks1 Registered Member

Ok, have discovered after reading a bit on this forum that
    Incrementals : are for file and folder backups
    Differentials: are for image based backups.

I ran another full backup and it came out to around 5.96GB.

Then I ran a differential backup, and while it took almost as long to complete as the full backup, the folder was only 22MB....which is far closer to what I would have expected.

I guess I would suggest that the software put something into the dialog boxes during backups and such to make this a bit more clear.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.