SiteAdvisor & IE7

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by HelpFromFrance, Sep 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HelpFromFrance

HelpFromFrance Registered Member

Wanted to check out IE7 and see what it was going to be like, so downloaded it and installed it. No problems, but noticed that Siteadvisor was not working right 'the check marks, questions or X's were not showingup in the searched see screen shot) and so tried to reinstall it. No go, always starts and then says "install failed". Tried to uninstall siteadvisor and reinstall, same thing would not install. Uininstalled IE7 and siteadvisor installed and worked fine. Reinstalled IE7 to see and again the problems came back no images to the right of the searches, just the little box with the x (see screen shot).

Then noticed that if I put the search site, google, yahoo etc in the trusted zone of IE7 the little pictures show up, so that is more or less settled, but not the fact that with IE7 installed I always get "install failed" when I try to update or reinstall siteadvisor.

Any ideas folks?

Thanks,
    HelpFromFrance

P.S. Don't get too excited, I use FF for almost everything, but sometimes have to use IE ;)

Attached Files:

2. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

Make sure that the boxes are checked in the siteadviser settings. I have had it running on IE7 for quite a while now. but I had to check the boxes to get it to work right.

Attached Files:

3. HelpFromFrance

bigc73542,

Thanks for the help but those boxes were checked and always have been. The problem I have had is when I saw that "little pics" weren't there I tried an update to siteadvisor, it always says "update failed", if I try to uninstall and then reinstall, it will not install at all on IE7. I had to totally uninstall IE7 and reinstall siteadvisor with IE6 then reinstall IE7. The little pics will not show up unless I add the search sited to the "trusted zone" in IE7.

Have to tried to update siteadvisor since you have installed IE7? Was wondering if it is me or something in 1 of the 2 programs. I tried it on 3 different computers, and site advisor would not update or install on IE7.

Thanks again,
    HelpFromFrance

4. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

Hmmm, that is a different kettle of fish. I have never seen that particular problem before. but I will do a bit of searching and will get back to you if I find anything :thumb:

5. HelpFromFrance

Thanks, appreciate it. It is working for the moment, but if I have to update or reinstall, that would be bad.

Have a good day,
    HelpFromFrance

6. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

I to have it installed on IE7 RC1 and fortunately have not experienced the install problem. As for the pics not being there....it appears you may need to double check your Trusted Site additions. Perhaps the below SiteAdvisor FAQ will help....unless that's what gave you the idea to add yahoo and such to the Trusted Zone :doubt:

Why aren't SiteAdvisor balloons appearing correctly at Google/Yahoo/MSN? I use Internet Explorer 7 (Beta 2 or Beta 3).

7. HelpFromFrance

Thanks Bubba,

Yes, that is what I did, I just found that out by my "little ole self" ;) I was so proud :D . It was nice of you to post the steps, it will make it easier to do with teh wild cards there than each site.

My only question and concern now is the install. Did you install siteadvisor before or after your install of IE7? Mine works, because it was installed before I installed IE7. It will now not update or install with IE7 on the computer. It will not work to update it or reinstall it with IE7 on the computer.

Thanks,
    HelpFromFrance

I don't know if this could be a localization problem, since my IE7 is in French? I notice that with some of the ballons now that my accented letters are showing up as o_O and not letters. Just a thought.

8. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

SiteAdvisor was installed the other day when assisting someone else with the empty pic problem which was after I had installed IE7 RC1.
    Very well could be a language problem considering SiteAdvisor does nothing fancy in regards to installation that any other IE toolbar installation does. Of course....I am not a programmer by no means but according to this installation info....that's pretty much all I have seen registry entry wise when I would record a nafarious toolbar install with Total Uninstall.

Bubba

9. HelpFromFrance

Bubba,

Thanks, I guess I am up a creek without a paddle :'( I cannot afford to uninstall IE7 each time siteadvisor needs an update or a change. have you got any suggestions for a replacement that I could use for siteadvisor? I love the way it works. Or any other ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    HelpFromFrance

P.S. What is odd, is that I never had these problems with IE6, I could install, update, uninstall & reinstall siteadvisor at will, it came with IE7.

10. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

I personally do not because I only installed it to assist with that individuals problem. Given what it's purpose is....the only thing I replace it with each and every day is the knowledge that sites are suspect until proven safe by visiting or reasonably safe by who they are. Until proven safe....they all are strictly controlled via the browser settings.

Bubba

11. HelpFromFrance

Bubba & others,

Go figure, I just tried the install again and guess what, it worked!!:D Maybe the other day when I downloaded, I was getting some corrupt files or who knows what, but for now, it seems to be installing and the update went perfect. Thanks for all the help and searches that you did, you are truly the greatest!

Have a nice day,
    HelpFromFrance

P.S. Was just running IE7 and noticed something. Before if I showed the ballon for Siteadvisor for a given site the word "téléchargement" would look like this "t?l?chargement" in other words the accents were not there. Now it shows up right and is perfect, in other words "téléchargement" which leads me to think there was a problem with the localization for some reason, corrupt file, who knows what. It is working now and that is great.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2006
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.