Site to Analyze HijackThis files - Question

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by oma53, Sep 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. oma53

oma53 Registered Member

Hello,

Anyone have any experience with the following site please?

hxxp://hijackthis.de/en

You just paste your scan into it and it will analyze it for you.
    I have never seen this site and I was curious as to how accurate, etc this service was. I did try it and it pointed out something that I had missed (a missing file).
    Any input would be appreciated.

Thank you.

2. JRViejo

JRViejo Global Moderator

oma53, while I have used that particular site to obtain quick HJT guidelines, you need to be aware that no automated analysis site (and there are others) will ever be 100% accurate, and in the hands of a novice, if the results are not understood, any removal could do more harm than good.

As BlueZannetti's post: If you are currently infected advises, focused and dedicated assistance is a "must" when dealing with today's malware, and nothing beats step-by-step troubleshooting by a live professional.

3. oma53

oma53 Registered Member

Thank you for your reply.

You do have a very good point.

I did not think about that aspect when I posted the thread as I normally do not trust anything my security tells me before I check it out. (fp, etc.)
    When I find something I do not understand, I will go to the specific forum or a local shop for expert help.
    I was thinking more along the lines of this may help “catch” something suspicious.
    You have an excellent point of how dangerous it can be to just obtain a little knowledge and think you can fix anything. I had a friend who thought he could use ComboFix to evaluate his system….no need to tell you how that ended.

Thank you again.

4. JRViejo

JRViejo Global Moderator

oma53, you're welcome! Take care.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.