Simplicity Vendors, thats all.

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by trjam, Aug 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. trjam

trjam Registered Member

I am utterly amazed at the WOW factor being added to products that have no worth while use at all. Kaspersky has some little pink graph going past on my screen and I dont have a damn clue what it is. Others are adding to detect the other gadgets connected to my wifi. Keep it simple, really. The 2 best at basic simplicity are Avira and the new Norton. Keep the fluff out or you may get chomped in the ass from your consumers.

2. ambient_88

ambient_88 Registered Member

The majority of consumers like that. If it is working properly, why bother removing the "WOW" factor?

3. emperordarius

emperordarius Registered Member

Kaspersky 2009 is simple at all. That little pink graph is nice and it's easy to understand if you read what's written on it. It's clear:
    untitled.JPG

cheers

4. lodore

lodore Registered Member

if norton got much simpler it would just be a live update button.
    jokes aside most products are simple and easy to use.

5. Boost

Boost Registered Member

ROFL, I can just see you watching this pinkish graph doin it's thing on your desktop :D

I agree totally, cut out the non-sense with programs, KISS meaning: Keep It Simple Stupid :thumb:

6. larryb52

larryb52 Registered Member

I have to agree more stuff added doesn't add to the over effectiveness, nothing like a good AV & firewall + some program for spyware, etc...Kiss method works...to me it seems like over kill

7. dawgg

dawgg Registered Member

I do agree, keeping it simple should be the way to go for many AVs because thats what many users want, something which is simple to use, clean, easy to learn and just does the job.
    The fact is though, there are other users who want more, want more security/protection which signatures+heuristics may miss, users who want to know whats happening on their computer, further protection settings so they know whats going on, things which make the product more attractive, things which make the product look more professional/advanced. I know a product which looks more advanced doesnt make it a better product, but KIS/KAV is a good product and its just trying to make itself more attractive for the users who want more. Of course, if people dont want to see they dont have to keep the Kaspersky window constantly open.

IMO, the graphs in Kaspersky may seem usless bells or clatter on its product, but the FilesAndMemory graph is usefull with troubleshooting problems such as if the computer is running slow, they can check the graph to see if Kaspersky is causing it, (FilesAndMemory scanning might be high if Kaspersky is scanning another program which should have been added to exclusions... Kaspersky constantly scanning files which another program is using to do things such as compileing/compressing/rendering/searching/defragging etc. If it is constantly high, the user instantly knows something is wrong and the other program should be added to exclusions.)

The graph showing incoming/outgoing traffic is also usefull to suggest to the user they may have a trojan/worm of some sort. I dont need to go into detail about this, as I'm sure you know about how it works.

8. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

I agree, i like simplicity. Its for this reason that i use f-prot, nice and simple. I do have a license for KIS however i have most of the components disabled as they're just unneeded imo.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.