Simple webmail

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by Fontaine, Nov 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fontaine

Fontaine Registered Member

Just realized gmail reads your contacts and 'public' information to create a 'social circle' for you. If you haven't seen it, search for 'disable google social circle' and you will see there is no way to remove your information from your social circle.
    This isnt a bash google post....rather, it got me thinking that i dont want an email service that will use my information for public profiles, social networks etc. I just a simple no frills email. Www.gmx.com is the one im thinking. Not worried as much about privacy on the provider end as i am protecting my info from being automatically used for social networks. Any suggestions? I didnt see any threads about this type of issue.

2. nightrace

nightrace Registered Member

From what I have read Zoho Mail seems to be the most similar alternative to Gmail.

3. box750

box750 Registered Member

I am all against Gmail, it remains the only email service that scans your email contents to introduce "relevant advertising" and I don't think that is right.

I am not worried about the advertising because they need to pay for the service somehow, but there is no way I am going to allow them to read my emails and the emails of people who are sending me a message.

Some other webmail I have used and I am happy with gmx.com, ymail.com, Inbox.com, Fastmail.fm

4. markedmanner

markedmanner Registered Member

I have been very happy with GMX mail.

5. poison

poison Registered Member

i have just signed up for a gmx account but when i use https the encryption is only partially encrypted. do any other gmx users have this problem? https is a must for me, really.

6. Cutting_Edgetech

Cutting_Edgetech Registered Member

I have gmail account, but i rarely use it. I'm glad you made me aware of this major privacy issue.

7. Baserk

Baserk Registered Member

You can stop the GMAIL ads by including nasty/morbid/tragic words in your message.

'Death', 'bloodbath', 'dying', 'massacre', 'funeral' etc. will kill the ads.
    You'll have to add it in a sentence every 167th word or so.

Unfortunately, this technique does have an obvious and clear disadvantage when f.i. emailing grandma or your accountant. :p
    source link

8. Carver

Carver Registered Member

This is the "Nightmare on Elm Street" approach to email security and you sign your name as "Freddy Kruger" :D

9. nightrace

nightrace Registered Member

Lavabit is again open for sign-up. Many Tor exit nodes appear to be blacklisted so you may have to use "New Identity" a few times.

10. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

Does the word 'Vampire' count on it? o_O :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.