Simple snapshot recovery programe required

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by ellison64, Aug 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

Ive just changed my OS from w98SE to w2000 pro.When i had 98se installed i used powerquest secondchance to return to a previous snapshot if one of my many programe installations went haywire.It was very easy to use and did the job of returning to a previous date in minutes.I could also easily restore any other files that i wanted to keep from the snapshot.I could also set the space that i wanted it to use for the snapshots.Is there a similar programe that works for 2000?.I dont care if doesnt backup to cd.I just want it to create the snapshot image/s on my current C: drive.Some of the imaging software i read about here seem a bit overkill for what i want.Is there something as simple and functional as secondchance available?
    tia
    ellison

2. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

3. ellison64

Thanks for link.Do you have any experience using this Erik?.
    tia
    ellison

4. ErikAlbert

No, but Wilders has members that use RollbackRx for quite some time.

I'm a FirstDefense-ISR user, which is also sold by the same company of RollbackRx.

5. ellison64

I see theres a trial ,so i think ill try it.
    Thanks again
    ellison

6. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Registered Member

Rollback Rx has worked well for me but some have had problems.

7. ellison64

What sort of problems?.By the way as rollback rx been cloned or copied by chinese companies?
    http://www.ayrecovery.com/Products_ayrpro.php
    http://www.k67.net/
    I downloaded and tried ayrecovery and its practically identical.Is it the same prog under licence or a copy?
    tia
    ellison

8. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Registered Member

Hi ellison64
    From what I have read in this and other forums chkdisk problems for one.
    But keep in mind what works for one might not work for another.
    Differant software combo's on differant pc's produce differant results on software compatability.
    Just do a search in this forum on Rollback Rx and i'm sure you will have plenty to read.
    As far as if Ayrecovery is a clone of Rollback that I do not know. But I do know there are some out there.
    Good luck in whatever recovery software you chose but definently get one.
    Rollback has helped me so many times.
    The best money ever spent on software.

9. ellison64

Thanks for reply....Yes i should have searched first ,as i see this has been covered already.I have just installed and am trialing it.Its running ok., and i dont have anyother similiar apps that would interfer with it ,so i dont anticipate any problems.One quick question if i may?.I cant seem to find information on whether ,i need to shut it down when defragging.Im under the impression it only works on a scheduled event or manually ,so i shouldnt need to shut it down during a defrag?.Also the built in defrag is just for the "protected" snapshots?
    tia
    ellison

10. mrhero

mrhero Registered Member

11. ellison64

12. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

What is with Roxio. First they had Go-back, then sold that to Symantec. Now this. Hmmm

13. rendez2k

rendez2k Registered Member

The big question then - we know Rx Rollback can be a bit buggy so has anyone tested BackOnTrack (or even tested it with FD-ISR?). Just installed it on a VM machine and appears to have similar features to Rx Rollback in a very simple interface. I thought it might have been another 'clone' but it appears to be a new product.

Developers home page is: http://www.systemok.com

Edit: Looks like it just takes and stores one snapshot at a time.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2007
  14. ellison64

I think all these restore programes can cause some problems.I thought id hosed my sytem when i decided to reinstall my windows 98 a while ago,with the restore disk i had with the computer.I stupidly forgot to uninstall roxio goback,with the result ,that there was portions of goback still lurking.I couldnt reboot in the IDE drive as a goback popup would say theres files missing (which of course there was because id reinstalled windows9:cool:I had to change bios to a: drive bootup first and luckily had dbans autonuke disk which wiped hard drive completley.I was then able to reinstall my os.
    Backontrack mentions theres a known incompatability with KAV6,though doesnt say exactly what,so kav6 users may want to take care if they try it.
    ellison

15. ErikAlbert

ellision64,
    Keep also in mind that ALL snapshots of RollbackRx cannot be restored with most Image Backup softwares, UNLESS you do a RAW backup (used + free space).
    A normal backup (used space only) will only restore one snapshot of RollbackRx : the current one or the baseline and the rest of your snapshots are GONE.

This is one of the reasons why I don't use RollbackRx and FirstDefense-ISR doesn't have that problem.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2007
  16. ellison64

Thanks for the extra info.Backing up externally doesnt really bother me,as i im only using it for the purpose of ,going back if ive a dodgy programe that ive installed or for testing different avs etc.Theres nothing really on my pc that i cant put back on in a few days.Secondchance was ideal for that.i did have goback installed for a while but after the mishap i was a bit wary,plus it was continually monitoring on the fly.I may get the pro version which (if i understan correctly) doesnt wipe the other restore points if i go back.I have a voucher for 25% off so i may take the plunge.
    ellison

17. wdc

wdc Registered Member

hello, first post here.

i used to use secondchance years ago in 98se and it is the BEST software i have ever used.

making snapshots was a dream and recovery also, sadly secondchance never went to win2k or xp.

last 2 days i tried rollback rx but now i dumped it for these reasons:

1) couldn't start linux (in another partition) using it, once uninstalled linux booted ok.

2) made my internet conecction very slow, don't now why, once uninstalled, internet speed is fast again.

3) made my xp impossible to shutdown sometimes, it simply hanged on in "windows is shutting down", rollback rx support didn't help.

4) a general sense of "buggy software" when using it, like too fragile. i hope you understand.

now i'm looking for another software to rollback my system because i like to test new programs and that's why i loved secondchance in first place.

don't like FDISR because takes too much space and i don't like to be booting to another image once and again, i haven't used FDISR yet, maybe i'm wrong (i have read about it here).

i wonder if ellison64 is happy with rollback rx or found another software to fit his needs.

best regards.

w.

18. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

You can try ShadowUser Pro from Storagecraft, it's very stable and simple to use.

19. ErikAlbert

Other alternatives are :
    - DeepFreeze
    - PowerShadow
    - Returnil (freeware)
    - ShadowDefender
    - ShadowUser (already mentioned)
    All these are NOT using multiple snapshots and are very simple in use, fast and use less space, but only offer a boot-to-restore solution without any further possibilities. They all have a thawed and frozen mode, but that is normal and nothing special.
    Some have the possibility to switch from thawed to frozen mode without reboot and that might be a plus.

The main differences are :
    - GUI of course
    - used method
    - real environment or virtual environment
    - restore one partition or more than one partition

ShadowUser is more different and I would certainly try that one.

You can trial all of them and choose one you like.

The main problems with all these ISR-softwares :
    - how to keep them clean and malware-free
    - how to keep the good changes without keeping the bad changes.
    This requires some discipline and a certain way of doing things in the right sequence.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2007
  20. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

The reason I suggested ShadowUser Pro, is that is the ONLY one out of the ones mentioned by ErikAlbert that allows reboots in virtual mode, absolutely necessary if you test certain programs that require... a reboot. The only negative thing is that 69 $ is too expensive for some people, and it doesn't offer the protection of a password in admin. mode (only limited account).

Another point to clarify is that all these programs do not use snapshot technology, they gradually build a virtual volume outside the space usually allocated to the real disk, which means that an internet session of 2-3 hours might create a volume of 500 MB to 1GB (depending on the user) which is totally discarded with your next reboot.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2007
  21. aigle

aigle Registered Member

U can,t install some kernel level software and retain them on reboot with ShadowUser. Long time ago, when I was trialing it, I failed to install ProcessGuard with it.

22. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

You know Aigle, to generalize from ProcessGuard to some kernel level software is asking you what other software failed to install like ProcessGuard.

I had PG and never had any problems. It is also true that PG gave a lot of headaches (conflicts) with many other applications. I personally very rarely test a program with SU, simply because if I'm interested in a new software I download it and keep it for a week, too long to stay in a virtual session.

Last but not least, PG is gone for ever, SU is still here and supported by a company with a good reputation.

23. ErikAlbert

Indeed, PG caused always errors in the copy/update of FDISR.

24. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

another vote for RollbackRX Pro here.

25. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

You might explain why for the OP's benefit.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.