Simple question Smart Security v4 , 5 ,6

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by jetspeedz, May 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jetspeedz

jetspeedz Registered Member

I'm on Eset Smart Security v4.0 and it has served well. I chose it for the protection but more importantly due to the small footprint and resource usage.

Question: How is the system resource usage of v4.0 compared to v5 and v6?

I know the updates are the same for all these versions so it is more of a matter of additional features on the newer version but at the cost of system resources and I'm more concerned about resources.

Thanks

2. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Since v5 and v6 take advantage of cloud, they should have even smaller impact on the system performance as many clean files can be omitted from scanning.

3. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Same or very very similar IMO :)

4. jetspeedz

I see, so it only affects the system when the scan in running. How about when it is idle? I would assume with HIPS enabled it takes more system resources than v4.0 or am I wrong?

Is the Eset windows service identical across the 3 versions in terms of resources during idle and non scanning use?

thanks

5. jetspeedz

Have you tested all 4 versions and have you actually looked at memory usage on each version?

Thanks

6. encus

encus Registered Member

I agree with SweX. It is almost the same (around 68-72 MB at system idle on my computer).

7. encus

encus Registered Member

How do people behind this cloud know that a file can be categorized as clean? What if the file changed or modified, will the cloud exclude it from scanning too?

Thanks.

8. Marcos

Each file in cloud has a unique hash. If the hash matches and a particular file is whitelisted in cloud, it won't be scanned.

9. jetspeedz

It appears there is no difference in footprint between the different versions. In that case is there any disadvantage with sticking with v4.0?

I have no need for the parental controls, social media and the other options I see advertised for v6.0 If the protection difference is no different other then HIPS missing in v4.0 and they have the same definitions there should be no reason to upgrade unless one wants those new features. Correct me if im wrong?

Thanks

10. Marcos

Yes, the most significant changes are usually done under the hood. New versions may also have cleaning of malware improved compared to older versions.

11. jetspeedz

Ok thanks, I will go ahead and upgrade and see how it goes.

12. encus

encus Registered Member

Ok, thanks Marcos.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.