Simple (?) question -- moving to a *smaller* HD?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by stevemaser, Jan 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stevemaser

stevemaser Registered Member

With TI Home...

My Windows files are only about 10G on my one-partition 80G drive.

I wanted to move my bootable Windows to another smaller Hard disk (40G).

But in booting TI Home, the target is smaller than the source, so I can't restore to that.

Or can I?

What's the trick here? Do I just backup the *files* and restore that way instead of backing up the "disk"?

(I know how to move from a small drive to a larger drive, but haven't figured out the reverse!)

Thanks!

2. Ralphie

Ralphie Registered Member

Since the used space is less than 40 Gb, there should not be a problem Restoring to a smaller drive. I believe the Clone feature should also work here.

3. stevemaser

The problem is the interface is saying that I can't select the smaller drives.

And I can't use the "clone drive" option because I'm working with laptop drives.

I needed to move my 40G stuff to a larger internal HD temporarily -- now I need to move things *back* to the 40G drive and I'm not sure how...

4. zipc0de

zipc0de Registered Member

Ok i would try and make another partition on your 80 gig drive say 60 gigs, then your disk image will only be 20 gigs and you should be able to move it to the 40 gig drive.

5. thomasjk

thomasjk Registered Member

Don't try to Clone. Create an image on another hard drive and use that image to restore to the smaller hard drive. As long as the smaller hard drive has enough space this should work.

6. stevemaser

Except that it seems not. Even though I only have 10G on my 80G drive, if I try to restore to a 60G drive, the destinations are greyed out.

So, I'm wondering if I need to do file-based backup/restore to make this work?

7. bVolk

bVolk Registered Member

No stevemaser, files restore is not the proper way to migrate the system to another drive.

Try a partition restore with resize. See Menorcaman's instructions here:
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=769388&postcount=5

For a partitions restore you do not tick the checkbox next to Disk 1 but you tick first the C: partition and a few steps later also the MBR to restore them both in one pass.

EDIT:: When you return to tick the MBR and Track 0 the previous tick next to partition C: will have disappeared but the selection is not forgotten by TI. You will notice a very small tick on the icon for the partition instead. (True for ver. 9)

Last edited: Jan 19, 2007
  8. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

Restoring an image of a drive to a smaller drive is something I do regularly using Versions 8,9 and 10.

To keep it simple I tick all the boxes when making the images and when restoring. I have never seen any greyed out items on the source or target drives.
    I have not found it necessary to invoke any resizing procedure.
    Have you named your drives to be sure that you are looking at the correct source and destination? It is easy to get confused as different drive letters are assigned while booted in the recovery environment.

Xpilot

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.