Simple HDD question

Discussion in 'hardware' started by innerpeace, Nov 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. innerpeace

innerpeace Registered Member

If I buy a SATA HDD and install in a compatible USB 2.0 external enclosure, will it work if my motherboard doesn't support SATA?

Thanks,
    innerpeace

2. markymoo

markymoo Registered Member

yes but only if the usb enclosure has a sata enclosure. some usb externals can only fit ide. it works because you be connecting it to the pc by usb interface.

3. innerpeace

Ok, I see the 'internal interfaces', I just wanted to be sure. Someone said my mb is Sata1.5 compatible, but I want something external to 'disconnect' for backups. I'm trying to get an early jump on the cyber Moday sales here in the U.S. Thank you markymoo :)

4. markymoo

markymoo Registered Member

some motherboards have a external sata connector sometimes called eSATA that lets you connect a sata drive directly.

you should consider external firewire/usb. firewire is 2x faster than usb so if your motherboard has firewire get that, so faster backups. check your spec if it supports firewire 400/800.

5. innerpeace

Here is what I ordered.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148262&Tpk=N82E16822148262

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817173042&Tpk=N82E16817173042

It does have USB and eSata, but I don't dont have eSata. There is a 1394 slot open on my current machine, I guess that's firewire :doubt: . I kinda hope that my next machine will have eSata. I was wanting this combo for future use.

There weren't any cheap enclosure's that had Sata internal and Firefire external. They were all more that $60+ US. I've spent too much already lol. It's too late anyways as the card has been charged.

Thanks

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.