Simple HDD question

Discussion in 'hardware' started by innerpeace, Nov 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. innerpeace

innerpeace Registered Member

If I buy a SATA HDD and install in a compatible USB 2.0 external enclosure, will it work if my motherboard doesn't support SATA?

Thanks,
    innerpeace

2. markymoo

markymoo Registered Member

yes but only if the usb enclosure has a sata enclosure. some usb externals can only fit ide. it works because you be connecting it to the pc by usb interface.

3. innerpeace

Ok, I see the 'internal interfaces', I just wanted to be sure. Someone said my mb is Sata1.5 compatible, but I want something external to 'disconnect' for backups. I'm trying to get an early jump on the cyber Moday sales here in the U.S. Thank you markymoo :)

4. markymoo

markymoo Registered Member

some motherboards have a external sata connector sometimes called eSATA that lets you connect a sata drive directly.

you should consider external firewire/usb. firewire is 2x faster than usb so if your motherboard has firewire get that, so faster backups. check your spec if it supports firewire 400/800.

5. innerpeace

Here is what I ordered.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148262&Tpk=N82E16822148262

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817173042&Tpk=N82E16817173042

It does have USB and eSata, but I don't dont have eSata. There is a 1394 slot open on my current machine, I guess that's firewire :doubt: . I kinda hope that my next machine will have eSata. I was wanting this combo for future use.

There weren't any cheap enclosure's that had Sata internal and Firefire external. They were all more that $60+ US. I've spent too much already lol. It's too late anyways as the card has been charged.

Thanks

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.