Simple Backup

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by ChrisL, Mar 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ChrisL

ChrisL Registered Member

I am thinking about getting this product but I am wandering if it suits my needs. All i need is a piece of software that will provide daily backup of all my files and folders from my f: data drive. I have an external hard drive and I need all these to be backed up to the external drive. However I do not want just one back up file like XP can create .bkf. i want all the files and folders saved as is on the hard drive. This is so i can use it remotely. It would also be useful if the software recognises which files have been changed on my PC each day and only back up those files and not everything every night as this is wasteful.

Can anyone tell me if this software fulfills these requirements?

2. shieber

shieber Registered Member

Why don't you just use the copy command or drag and drop?

ATI is going to backup to sa single file. However, you can access the contents, including the files contained within.

3. ChrisL

ChrisL Registered Member

It needs to be automated to happen every night how do i use copy or drag n drop to do this? Or can this be scheduled somehow with XP?

So ATI creates a single file for backup like the XP Backup utility. Can you just double click on it to open and access all the files on as with XP you cannot open the file and it can only be used for restores?

4. CatFan432

CatFan432 Registered Member

This looks to me like a job for a file synchronizing program. I would recommend you search or post a query on this forum, https://www.wilderssecurity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=48, looking for recommendations. I'm using ViceVersa, it has a good selection of options for automating.

I would recommend that you also consider True Image for disaster protection of your operating system partition.

5. ChrisL

ChrisL Registered Member

Thanks I have software for creating drive images so i have the operating system partition backed up. This is software i need to for simple file & folder backup to an external hard drive. I also have the drive image backup files saved on this data partition so in effect im backing up everything.

Does your ViceVersa software do what I need - ie backing up files and folders as is, at scheduled times (or immediately) and only the files that have changed? I need to be able to remove the hard drive and take it to other computers so i can access my data. Might also be useful if my main PC also synchronizes whn i reconnect it to change its files in light of the changes iv made on the hard drive.

I also found AJC Active Backup which looks similar.

6. CatFan432

CatFan432 Registered Member

I'm sure it will handle the scenarios you've stated, including syncing automatically when you connect removable drives. I have the Pro version, I have found it to be fast and very versatile. You can download a fully functional trial here: http://www.tgrmn.com/.

7. ChrisL

ChrisL Registered Member

Hi I have tried ViceVersa and it seems to work correctly. I can synchronize files from my Data drive to my external hard drive, you can use windows scheduler to schedule it to synchronise at night to avoid taking up time during the day, it copies read only files, and it also provides as many archive versions of changed/deleted files as you want. Im playing about with that function just now to see if I need it switched on.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

8. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hello ChrisL,

I've transferred your thread from the Acronis True Image forum to here, where it sits more comfortably.

Regards

Menorcaman

9. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

With ATI you can recover file by file. You have to MOUNT the image first and then you have access to each file inside the image. If I can do it, everybody can.

10. Capp

Capp Registered Member

You could try a service like Remote Data Backups (see my signature). I use it and love it.

11. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

12. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    You could also write a simple script in BASIC (txt > bat).
    Then schedule it to run. Sounds like what you need?
    Mrk

13. gerardwil

gerardwil Registered Member

I like this one and it is free:

Gerard

14. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

for a synchronization software, id choose SyncBackSE.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.