Simple App (Privacy + Encryption) for average users

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by privacy_fr33k, Nov 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. privacy_fr33k

privacy_fr33k Registered Member

I always had difficulty convincing my friends to use encryption tools for e-mail communication. Reason? Well you know it. Its the "complexity" in using encryption tools (even if available for free).
    How many "average users" are willing to learn about encryption?
    How many are willing to spend money?

Last night when i was in cryptocat lobby chat, a guy popped in and posted this link (freeamorphis.tk)

After I went through the site, I asked him a couple of questions. It seems like he is a friend of the guy who actually made that site and was doing a favour to his friend by sharing the link with people who take privacy seriously. Or may be he is getting a small percentage of his donation from the site? He admits he has no knowledge about programming.

But the site looks simple and cool. Seems like geeks and techies have already started developing tools that targets "average users" who struggle to understand encryption.

What do you guys think? Has anyone tried it already?

2. S.B.

S.B. Registered Member

I took a quick look. IMO the app suffers from the appearance of being too complicated because the designer is trying to bundle too much into a single package.

Just the anonymous browsing/searching app adds a layer of complexity that average people will likely have a hard time dealing with. Add the other apps and IMO it becomes overwhelming for the average Joe.

But I could be, and very well might be, wrong. Some privacy apps are going to flourish if people make and adjust the apps to users' needs.

"Try it. Change (adapt) it." That's pretty much the rule that works.

The guy that came up with Fed Ex got a very poor business review/business grade but proved everyone wrong.

__

3. CloneRanger

CloneRanger Registered Member

Well @ least someone is trying to do something, so :thumb: for effort. He sounds like a clever guy too.

Be interesting for people to test it, & also to see how it matures etc :)

4. privacy_fr33k

privacy_fr33k Registered Member

Doesn't appear too complicated to my eyes. But I guess you are right about bundling too much of stuff (may be get rid of those 2 "extras"?).

It appears to be pretty much straight forward. Or are you talking about providing additional information (documentation)?

Yeah, but the average joe's mostly don't care about privacy i guess. Do you think that mentality would ever change?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.