silly questions about Nod32?

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by iclinux, May 30, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. iclinux

iclinux Registered Member

I'm new to Nod32, but at the first glance at it, I find two things bothered me:

1st, the icon of nod32 is not good, it use a zip icon. why don't they make it look much better?

2nd, those antivirus such as kaspersky have a Code Signing, why nod32 hasn't it?

In my opinion, if nod32 has a beautiful icon, and a Code Signing, it will be much attractive. isn't it?

Best Regards.

2. cupez80

cupez80 Registered Member

1st, the icon of nod32 is not good, it use a zip icon. why don't they make it look much better?
    i think they dont have much time to re-design its icon 'cause they have been very busy developing new nod32 ver.3 :D and adding spreading mallware definition

2nd, those antivirus such as kaspersky have a Code Signing, why nod32 hasn't it?
    what do you mean by code signing ?

3. iclinux

thanks for reply.

oh, what I mean is "Digital Signature" that used for certifing their identity.

4. pykko

pykko Registered Member

the only thing it matters for an AV...I mean the most important thing is its detection rates. And nowadays when almost 1000 malwares appear every single day an heyristic engine is very important and NOd has the greatest heuristics
    About your question I think u'll be satisfied with v3.0. It will be different and much better. :)

5. sick0

sick0 Registered Member

well its just an icon...

whats important is the protection it gives...

what do you need a fancy icon for if its detection rates is poor?

6. webyourbusiness

webyourbusiness Registered Member

it's marketing... the best boxed product will often win when it comes to boxes flying off a shelf - it has almost nothing to do with the quality of the product INSIDE the box.... it's a fact that neither you, nor I can change...

7. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Change, I can change, got out of bed on the other side this morning, then again I had to hop back in and get out the right side (or things just wouldn't be the same) :blink: ;) :D

8. iclinux

of couse, the ability of protection is important,
    but I think a good antivirus with a good look will be much attractive, and some completist such as me will feel much better.

9. agoretsky

agoretsky Eset Staff Account

Hello,

A custom Eset icon and signed distribution files are being considered for future releases of Eset's software.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

10. smith2006

smith2006 Registered Member

When will be the future release? :D

11. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Nice try, no answer will be forthcoming.

Cheers :D

Blackspear

12. Brian N

Brian N Registered Member

Don't know about the rest of you, but I couldn't care less if it's signed or not.

13. smith2006

Well, I am just trying my luck. :D

Anyway I have faith in NOD32, I just purchase a 3 year license.

Cheers

14. ASpace

ASpace Guest

I belelive ESET has the best description of the english word future
    No even need of dictionary . Future means just future :D
    <joke>

That's it . No answer will be provided to anyone , IMO . We can only wait and wait and one morning we'll see CNN reporing : Esential Security against Envolving Threats (ESET) has just release their new version 3 of the best security software ever - NOD32 . It has this and that and all Symantec and Kaspersky guys have left their mouths opened . Increadible ! :D :D :D

Although I also want to see ESET's new version and I would like to know more news about it , I support ESET for hiding it now because it is better to have it when it is ready . Let us concentrate on the current version 2.51 ;)

[MOVE]ESET NOD32[/MOVE]

15. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

I think that for that to happen ESET will need someone from CNN sitting on their board of directors.

16. smith2006

I guess they better do it fast.

Windows Live OneCare has just launched, not sure what will be the impact on other security companies.

http://itvibe.com/news/4073/

News from CNN, :D

Windows Live OneCare Achieves ICSA Labs and West Coast Labs Certification

http://money.cnn.com/services/tickerheadlines/prn/200605251201PR_NEWS_USPR_____SFTH030.htm

Last edited: May 31, 2006
  17. ASpace

ASpace Guest

18. PatG

PatG Registered Member

It's not the icon that keeps the baddies away, don't care about the appearance of it, all I'm interested in is keeping my machine clean. Am so impressed w/the updates recently, think it was 3 yesterday! Way to go!

19. tempnexus

tempnexus Registered Member

If you love icons then load V1 onto your sytem and open the main configuration windowj...there is a very nice pulsateing red icon that I think you will find it quite pleasing. :gack:

20. agoretsky

agoretsky Eset Staff Account

Hello,

While it is completely valid to ask such questions, I do not have a timeline for when those particular feature requests will be implemented so there is no additional information for me to share at this time.

Please keep in mind ESET is a small company compared to, say, Microsoft, and there is a finite amount of work the developers can do at once. Here are just a few of the projects they are currently working on, in no particular order:

• analysis of incoming malware from ThreatSense.Net and user submissions (ongoing)
    • improvements to heuristic detection (ongoing)
    • work on the next version of NOD32
    • testing for compatibility and performance with Microsoft Windows Vista (which is in beta-test, itself)
    • current beta-test programs for Eset Mobile Antivirus, NOD32 for Lotus Domino and NOD32 Remote Administrator
    ESET does respond to customer requests for changes to things such the user interface and packaging when releasing program updates, but it is important to keep in mind that even what appear to be trivial changes that only take an hour or two of programmer-time, such as changes to wording in a dialog, using a different icon and so forth require a complete set of regression tests across all supported platforms and languages to ensure nothing gets broken (text disappearing off a dialog instead of wrapping to the next line, corruption of bitmap displayed for an icon, et cetera) which can take days to run. Also, while a great deal of testing is automated, much of it still has to be verified through ad-hoc testing, and that requires time to verify. This is why minor changes to product appearance and functionality occur in groups instead of one at a time--it is usually easier to test several changes together in parallel--the incremental cost of testing is lower--then it is to perform full compatibility, regression and performance tests (to name a few) against NOD32 just to verify one change in the product. Another thing to keep in mind is if a problem is found during testing then it has to be located, fixed and tested again from the beginning, and that process adds time to the release schedule.

I know this is not the answer you were hoping for--I am sure we would all like 'hard' dates ("feature X will be available in four weeks, feature Y in six weeks...") but the development of and testing of the product precludes this from happening and rather then put out a product with incomplete or partially-working features the decision has been made to release updates (or new products) when they have received sufficient testing to ensure they are supportable and marketable.

Fortunately for ESET, most customers are conservative when it comes to deploying updates to their security tools and would rather wait for a product to ship when it is ready, as opposed to receiving it due to some arbitrary "set in stone" ship date. Bear in mind, if a change has to be made for some reason, such as an exploit then that change does get made and the update released, but the effect is that it temporarily slows down all of the other projects since resources have to be taken away from them in order to get this type of unscheduled release out and available to the public.

I know many of ESET's customers have not had experience working at a software company so hopefully by explaining just a little bit about what goes on inside a typical process for releasing anti-virus software they will have a better idea of why it seems to take so long for what are seemingly small changes to appear in a product. In reality, the software development process is somewhat like an iceberg: Typically, users only see and interact with a small portion of the product, the user interface. The underlying code which supports that is invisible, so to speak. But since a change to what's "above the water line" can affect the whole program, it requires thorough testing to ensure qualty is retained throughout the entire product.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

21. gatorzone

gatorzone Registered Member

wow.. ESET spokesman :thumb:

btw.. I like nod32 current interface...its simple and very lite...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.