Silicon Image 3112A RAID w/ TI7 & TI8

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by mlee, Aug 18, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mlee

mlee Registered Member

Has anyone been able to restore an image to a striped raid array using either the lastest version of TI7 or TI8? I've tried both, and they can't seem to recognize the 2 drives properly. The restore console shows both drives, except it shows it with the striped partition residing solely on the first drive. So when I restore... I suspect it restores only on the first drive and upon reboot, I get a corrupt raid message. I've seen a lot of posts about the 3112A, but no resolution. Ideas? Thanks.

System Info:
    ==========
    Asus A7N8X Deluxe V2.0 (bios version 1007, haven't tried 100:cool:
    Acronis TrueImage v7 (b634), v8 (b763 - i know, not the latest)
    Silicon Image 3112A Raid Controller (on board)
    2 Western Digital Raptor WD740 SATA
    1 80GB WD IDE on PATA (Primary Master)

2. TheQuest

TheQuest Registered Member

Hi, mlee

Welcome to Wilders and Acronis Forums.

No the Recovery BootDisk created with latest builds of either Ti7 or Ti8 do not recognize the Raid0 Array with SiliconImage SATA3112 Raid Controller.

It see the Raid0 as two SCSI HDD's.

It is not seeing a striped partition anywhere., it is seeing a Non FS.

So it restore the Non FS to the First SATA HDD, the Non FS which I think is a hidden file system of some sort.. simular to that used by the Secure Zone, so in fact restore nothing. [it that makes any sense]

I have an Abit MB with the same controller as you.

Take Care,
    TheQuest :cool:

3. mlee

mlee Registered Member

So at current, there's no solution?

Do you know if this is on Acronis' to do list? I thought the 3112A is a very common on board chip.

Thanks,
    mike

4. TheQuest

Hi, mlee

There is [or was] a beta Ti7#619 fix, does the job OK on my system other then some media bugs.

It will not write to or read from CD-DVD media, but see the Raid0 just fine, best to create an Image on a PATA HDD not on your Raid Array as you should back all the Raid0 [both HDD's] or your will mess the Array up.

Have a read this old thread of mine:- When Raid0?

Your best bet after you have read the thread and think it will do for now is to either get in touch with support@acronis.com or PM Acronis Support here on the Forum for help in getting it. [If it's still available]

Take Care,

5. mlee

mlee Registered Member

Yeah, I saw that in some previous posts, but it seems kind of hoaky basing a backup on a beta build of a paid for product. Weird how Acronis would take out support for a product, unless it was entered in by accident.

Right now, I've decoupled the two Raptors and TI8 works fine. However, I'd like to take advantage of full Raid 0 once Acronis gets their act together.

Thanks,
    mike

6. TheQuest

Hi, mlee

Sorry to see it is of no use to you.

As I said it should work fine, just no way of it restoring from CD-DVD if you burn the Image from the HDD to optical media. [which I do :oops:]

What are you running now with your 2 Raps, Raid1?

Take Care,

7. Fedorov999

Fedorov999 Registered Member

Acronis are investigating why the RAID0 functionality of build #619 disappeared in future builds, they are currently upgrading me to v8.0 and I'm patiently awaiting a v8.0 build that works again :)

Fedorov.

8. mlee

mlee Registered Member

Hi TheQuest,

Nope, just running the Raptors as 2 really fast, independent drives right now. No raid of any sort.

mike

9. Mariner2

Mariner2 Registered Member

Thequest and others,
    Just joined this forum. I have 2 wd raptors in a raid 0 array using the intel raid controlers on my mobo. I have no problems of my raid 0 not beiing recognised or seen as scsi disks by TI 8. I already made a restore from the secure zone and all worked perfectly.
    However, my 2nd hdd(actually 3rd disk) is on a silicon sata controler (no raid) and this disk is recognised as scsi.
    This makes it impossibly to make a secure zone using the the secure zone management. But I have worked around this problem. See my recent first thread in this forum.
    mariner2
    :cool:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.