Signs of getting hacked?

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by bullee, Jun 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bullee

bullee Registered Member

Was looking into this on the net but couldn't find much..
    The last time i got hacked (that i know of) was back in the netbus days and my cd-tray popped out and went back in, pretty obvious something was going on. Other forms of hacking seem to result in changed startup pages etc, or maybe thats more malware like?
    These days with botnets etc it seems like the hackers dont want us to know they have been around, hiding, leaving no traces, so we dont take action and shut their bots down.
    Other than botnet's it could be any hack, seems like some people get game accounts hacked.

Most software firewalls have that monitor thats show connected programs and a log of whats happening, not much of that with windows 7 firewall. The few times I've been to a site that behaves in a weird way with popups etc i usually close firefox and launch currports to see if something is actually going on, but i dont really know what to look for. Windows 7 has a lot of svchost etc connections..
    Not sure what a hacked system looks like, any ideas?
    As i wrote in the beginning, some hacks probably dont want to be found.

2. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

if you run fully updated machine with regularly updated AV, optional firewall, and or running behind a router + use common sence when on the net then it is unlikely you will ever be hacked. As for the signs of the machine being hacked that can be anything that is out of ordinary that then leads you to investigate

3. StevieO

StevieO Registered Member

Sounds like you have Scripting/Java enabled. NOT GOOD, if that's always happening. If so install NoScript and JavaScriptOptions and maybe Wot too. If course you must set the options you require correctly.

What about your PopUpBlocker, is it disabled ?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.