Signature updates failing

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by aptisman, Sep 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aptisman

aptisman Registered Member

For the last two days my updates have failed, using XP.

I am not aware of anything being changed, and my user name and password are OK.

Would welcome suggestions as to solving the problem.

Thanks.

2. ASpace

ASpace Guest

The error message is ?

3. aptisman

Sorry,

Virus signature database update failed

4. ASpace

ASpace Guest

5. MathewG

MathewG Former ESET Support Rep

6. aptisman

I've worked through all that, although I was not able to delete the emo files, and finally uninstalled and reinstalled, to no avail.

7. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Your computer could be infected by malicious software that prevents NOD32 from updaing . There are many threats known to do that .

I'd suggest you make sure your computer is not infected . If you are unsure , please , post in a forum that provides malware cleaning services . There are numerous on the Net . You could try to register in AumHa

8. ccomputertek

ccomputertek Registered Member

check your hosts file for blockage ? what kind of firewall do you use ? virus infiltration ? run malwarebytes..

Last edited: Sep 15, 2009
  9. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Do you have a firewall installed that might be blocking communication for ekrn.exe?

10. ccomputertek

Since he said he reinstalled and still has the same problem, your probably right.Or communication is being blocked by something somewhere else.

would it work to try and ping an eset update server from his computer ?

11. aptisman

No, my firewall (LooknStop) was not blocking eset. I am free of malware, nothing reported by Spyware Terminator or Malwarebytes, so I guess it was a conflict somewhere.

Not having done so for some time I wiped the drive and reinstalled XP and everything else, and all is now fine.

My only remaining question, should NOD32 start early in the boot sequence, it seems to be one of the last?

12. ASpace

ASpace Guest

NOD32 has two processes - ekrn.exe and egui.exe

ekrn.exe represents the ESET Service (the kernel) . It works as a service and it loads early in the boot process.

What you see as last is the egui.exe - it is the graphical user interface which starts with two parameters - hide and waitservice. The wait service means that it will wait for the other processes to load and then it will show and minimize in the systray.

The protection is performed by the kernel (ekrn.exe) . In v4 ESET Helper (a driver) helps removing active malware found by the kernel

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 18, 2009
  13. ccomputertek

False, the only thing from NOD32 that is " supposed " to load early is Eamon, the real time protection driver.

ekrn is started after the logon process.it's a type 272 which means it can interact with the desktop.if it was a system service it would be type 1, type 2 is a file system driver that binds with the file system, which is what Eamon is supposed to be, but the INF's are set up wrong and windows changes it to type 1.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2009
  14. ASpace

ASpace Guest

I am sorry about the confusion , you are right about this.

I am aware it is not acting as system service , just wrote it like that while in a hurry.

Thank you for correcting my words

15. ChickC

ChickC Registered Member

I have been experiencing thw same problem for the past 5 days. Eventually Nod 32 does get through and updates. When it fails it updates 1 of 2 and then fails.

Could it possibly be a problem with EST's servers? If not why is this problem not there all the time and why is more than one person experiencing the same problem?

Thanks

16. ChickC

ChickC Registered Member

As an after thought I am located on the coast in CT. Is it possible we could both be using the same mirror for updates and only that mirror is experiencing problems?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.