Sigh..., I'm done with Firefox =_="

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by guest, Apr 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. guest

guest Guest

It keeps messing around with me, not responding and all. I'm even automatically logged-out from Wilders today. :argh: I think it's time to get a new browser. :D

So, is there any worthy chrome fork? I heard chromium is pretty decent.

2. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

I highly recommend comodo dragon.Its fast,secure and very slick with all the chrome extras.:D

3. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

+1 Comodo Dragon

Although I use Opera & am used to some unique features.

CD is pushing FF here as my 2nd browser choice.

4. The Red Moon

Im an opera fan also and the integrated email client is great stuff.Wish more browsers had this function.

5. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

Perhaps you could try to find out why FF is doing this before giving up? Add-ons can cause more problems than most realize. I will readily admit though that FF has been the same old, crash-happy FF for several years though. I think some of it has to do with plugin-container, honestly. Until you start loading up plugins, FF usually behaves itself.

6. safeguy

safeguy Registered Member

Tried the usual methods already? Disabling add-ons, reset settings and such? If you're determined to give up Firefox, try 1 of those Firefox derivatives. I'd say Palemoon might be worth a look. If none of those work, then I'd say Chrome family would welcome you.

7. guest

guest Guest

Does it allow you to choose installation folder?

I only use AdBlock Plus and this. TBH, this isn't the only reason I'm fed up with foxy. My biggest disappointment perhaps is when they worried more about trivial & cosmetic things such as download manager window while they're supposed to fix their pdf viewer. :cautious:

8. mattdocs12345

mattdocs12345 Registered Member

I quit FF at least 5times in the past 3 years. Each time I come back to it. Right now I am using Pale Moon 64 bit, works flawlessly and I can finally play HD videos without stuttering.

9. Wild Hunter

Wild Hunter Former Poster

What is the OS?

What are the machine specs?

What are the plug-ins, extensions and features needed?

10. guest

guest Guest

Done long time ago, no effect. :(

Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 32-bit.

AMD APU E350 1.6GHz (dual core), AMD Radeon HD 6310, 2GB RAM.

11. Wild Hunter

You didn't answer the last question so my recommendation isn't going to be as good as it could.

So, going from what you answered, I would recommend IE 10 which is now available for your OS.

Chromium-based browsers are more hungry on memory by design, so 2 GB of RAM are maybe too few for a long browsing session with a Chromium-based browser with lots of opened tabs and other software (like games, etc) running side by side.

Your GPU isn't good by current standards, but at least it's based on recent technology (supports Directx 11) that IE 10 can take use for its superior hardware acceleration.

12. Wild Hunter

Also, your CPU is very weak, so it could benefit from the fact that the CPU usage of IE 10 was drastically reduced in order to improve battery life of mobile PCs. Although I don't know how Chromium-based browsers compare with IE 10 in this particular aspect.

13. guest

guest Guest

Uh, I did. Only about add-ons though.

The only plug-in I use is SumatraPDF. I don't really matter features as long as it's stable & works.

Personally, I never really like the look & feel of IE. Thanks for the tip though. :)

Don't worry, I know my limit. Never do anything else when browsing. :D

14. Joxx

Joxx Registered Member

Try PaleMoon

15. Wild Hunter

If by "look & feel" you are talking about GUI, one question needs to be answered: what was the last IE version that you used? In this area, IE 9 is significantly different from IE 8, but IE 10 introduced only small changes to this aspect compared to IE 9:
    - New tuning for the tabs to close many tabs more quickly;
    - Other minor refinements to the UI (such as removal of gradients).

As for AdBlock Plus (ADB+), it isn't available for IE 10. However, IE 10 has native support to ad blocking via TPLs (the equivalent of ADB+ filter lists). Although this approach lacks the full power of ADB+, it has a smaller performance hit and usually brings less issues with websites as well.

The SumatraPDF browser plugin also isn't available for IE, so you would need to find an alternative here (all the other major PDF Readers seem to offer plugins for IE - Foxit, Adobe, PDF-XChange, etc) or open PDFs with Sumatra PDF itself.

But if you never do anything else when browsing, then Chromium-based browsers are probably OK. As long as you don't have issues with their "look & feel", that is. Most of them support ADB+ and SumatraPDF browser plugin.

And, if you are going to use Chromium-based browsers, the best option seems to be Google Chrome. It gets updated more often than the others and has the support of Google, including more quality assurance tests when compared to Chromium, for example.

16. guest

guest Guest

It's not just about the GUI, I just feel uncomfortable for some odd reason with IE. Plus, I don't like MetroUI. And the only reason I don't put Google Chrome into consideration is because it won't allow me to choose a specific folder to install. Not that I install programs in funny folders or something. Things like these are hard to explain and can only be understood by oneself (or maybe I just can't say it properly :argh: ).

Thanks for all the tips guys. I'll try Pale Moon, Dragon, and Chromium to see which one I like the most. :)

17. Wild Hunter

18. moontan

moontan Registered Member

right.

the OP should disable the addon/plugin one at a time to see what addon is causing the problem.
    when things go south, addons are most likely the culprits.

19. Techwiz

Techwiz Registered Member

On that note, the recent Firefox and flash update has been rather bothersome. I've noticed that YouTube crashes frequently, especially if I have more than one tab open on that site. I don't see a flash problems on other sites with flash content, just YouTube. The crash report errors itself. Does anyone known if this is a problem with YouTube, Firefox, and/or flash itself. I'm not ready to jump ship myself and I've been top to bottom turning things on and off, trying to find a solution. So far the only thing that works is closing the browser and running ccleaner. I'm thinking a corrupt install, but re-installation has not helped.

20. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

@Techwiz, try YouTube in a different browser like IE or Opera. If the problem does not occur, the problem may be Firefox. If the problem persists, then the cause is not the browser.

21. allizomeniz

allizomeniz Registered Member

Cookies do expire periodically, and as far as I know FF doesn't have any way to keep cookies indefinitely, so you will have to log in occasionally.

Still using FF 3.6.28 here and all is well. :D

22. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

Maxthon 4

SeaMonkey

Mx 4 is WebKit based with an IE plugin mode. SeaMonkey is very similar to Firefox (they both share the Gecko engine)

23. cruelsister

cruelsister Registered Member

Totally agree with the Seamonkey recommendation- an excellent alternative. It comes with an integrated email client, shares basically the same Extension pallet (for commonly used extensions) with Firefox. It also seems to be more elegantly coded, and example being RAM useage. To give an idea, right now I have Wilders open on both FF 22a2 and Seamonkey 2.20a1. They both have the same 4 extensions, only the themes differ. FF is hogging 317,992K. SeaMonkey is at 103,500.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2013
  24. The Red Moon

Im using firefox at the moment with 4 extensions,noscript,adblock plus,WOT and lastpass and it uses approximately 130.000k.

Problem firefox has is that it doesnt release back all the memory when opening more tabs.

Seamonkey looks an interesting browser and the integrated email is a nice addition.

25. guest

guest Guest

Funny thing is funny. I tried Pale Moon and didn't even touch any settings, yet it still froze. Lol my PC is being "racist" and would reject all gecko browsers no matter what. XD

Comodo Dragon + Web Inspector + Auto-delete browsing data on exit = Eye'm now in paradise. :cool:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.