Sickie's Boot DVD 1.8

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by TraumaDoc, Nov 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TraumaDoc

TraumaDoc Registered Member

Burn Sickie's Boot DVD 1.8 to USB Flash

Hey guys

I have Sickie's Boot DVD 1.8

I want to burn this iso image to USB flash memory disk instead of to DVD

I've used UltraISO to burn it, but when I burn this DVD iso image and reboot using the flash, it doesn't go to the normal menu of the beginning of Sickies ... auto goes to a BartPE XP setup - which of course blues creens during initialization because of hardware conflicts with my Windows 7 machine. I've used the different burn methods in UltraISO (USB-zip, USB-hdd, etc.) but all give the same result.

So - the question is -- what is the best way to convert/edit so I can burn the DVD image to the flash to work in the same manner as if burned to DVD ?

I assume it's a MBRecord issue of the original source DVD iso versus writing to the flash card.

I'm pretty fluent in things, but haven't touched these kind of tools in about 4 years - I always used older versions I already had burned.

Anyone? o_O

Last edited: Nov 1, 2010
  2. pajenn

pajenn Registered Member

Give WinToFlash a try (Advanced Mode -> Transfer WinPE Vista/2008/7 to USB drive). It's free.

Other notes:

1. If you need to use diskpart to prep a USB flash drive for WinPE 2.0/3.0 use (step 1 of this link), you can run it from Sickie's Boot DVD (Disk Tools -> DiskPart), that is, if your computer doesn't already run Vista or Windows 7. Just burn Sickie to DVD or boot a virtual machine using the iso for it.

2. If you want to test booting your USB drive on VMware, which doesn't allow booting directly to USB flash drives, you can use the Plop Bootmanager to get around this limitation. (Set the VM to boot from Plop's floppy image, plpbt.img, then choose the USB drive option from Plop's boot menu.)

3. TraumaDoc

This didn't work

Sure, it copied the entire structure of the Sickie's Boot DVD to the flash, but it still doesn't boot properly.

4. pajenn

pajenn Registered Member

It works for me. fwiw, I booted a virtual machine to WinPE 3.0 from Sickie's iso first, and while I was testing it, I ran the diskpart commands from the step 1 link in my previous post:

After that was done, I ran WinToFlash from Windows XP to transfer Sickie's to the flash drive. I've booted my laptop as well as virtual machines from it without problem.

5. GlobalForce

GlobalForce Regular Poster

If you're unable to get Pajenn's method go'in, maybe this - there's a note @ the bottom.

6. TraumaDoc

I've never had any need to run a virtual environment, so I'm not sure where to start to run VMWare, etc.

I've tried the Universal USB Installer but I don't see any relevant "note @ the bottom" on the page noted.

I ran the UUI above and it booted to a linux prompt with no access to the actual Sickies Boot Menu where you choose the PE environment, hirens, acronis, etc etc for the 9 or so options... the main sickies boot screen

I'll try things again though...

7. GlobalForce

I don't suppose a simple dd if=sickies_dvd.iso of=/dev/<dev_id> bs=1M would do? Perhaps GrandStreamDreams has an answer?

8. pajenn

pajenn Registered Member

You don't need to run a VM; for me it was just most convenient of the possible options. The point is to run diskpart (or WinToFlash) under a Vista or Windows 7 system or under WinPE 2.x or 3.0.

If you don't have access to Vista or Windows 7 systems or VMs, then you can always burn Sickie's iso onto a DVD, boot a computer from that DVD to WinPE 3.0, and then run the diskpart commands from there to prep the flash drive.

9. TraumaDoc

Yes, I know and agree with you

I'm using Windows 7 and have no problem formatting the disk either using Windows or using the diskpart commands

I then run the Win2Flash, mount the sickie's dvd boot ISO file with Daemon tools, point the source of win2flash to the root of the ISO Mounted "CD" ... and point to write to my USB Flash ......

On boot I get only a black screen with a flashing cursor in the first upper left space of the screen and nothing else happens

I've got no issue running it from CD etc on this laptop

I've even wiped/zero'd the flash card to ensure no issue with the boot or sectors or anything at all

I'd love to see someone make an image of their working flash USB disk where it works straight the normal Sickies Boot DVD Menu with WinPE3 recovery, BartPE, etc ....... 12 menu items I believe

If someone can make an image of their USB flash that works and I try it I'd love see what happens and compare them

Thanks

10. TraumaDoc

I don't see that being a command that I can run from Windows 7

11. GlobalForce

No, but then I'm sure you know how. Think I'll sidestep as it's shaping up to be Pajenn's ballgame.

12. TraumaDoc

13. pajenn

pajenn Registered Member

I tried FlashBoot 2 (not freeware) on Sickie's iso and it worked.

About Flashboot 2: It's a bit more universal than WinToFlash, but it copies the actual iso onto the USB device (and boots the iso), which is similar to booting from a DVD in the sense that you cannot edit the DVD or ISO contents on the fly as you can with a flash drive prepared with WinToFlash. Now that said, you can add (and modify on the fly) whatever portable apps or other programs you want to the free space on the USB stick.

About WinToFlash: I actually realized that it's not working properly for me either with Sickie's: The Sickie's USB boot device I created skips the initial boot menu and goes directly to Sickie's WinPE 3.0.

14. TraumaDoc

Thanks pajenn

I tried FlashBoot and it worked just fine. I had to use the second option - the wrapper option for the iso, not the first thing converting PE

So the wrapper option worked and burned to the my flash exactly as wanted and worked 100% as needed

Thanks a lot !!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.