Sick Of Google And Companies Invading Personal Privacy

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by markedmanner, Nov 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. markedmanner

markedmanner Registered Member

As many on this board have been discussing they are getting fed up with google. Especially with the latest news of them stealing data on wifi networks. I have continued to use google for a while but have cut the cord. I now use ixquick (ssl), duckngo (ssl), yauba and scroogle (ssl) for my searches. I have used gmail for my email. I am now looking for a replacement. I was thinking of using Zoho possibly? Though I would rather use another email provider who has a better privacy policy. Anyone have any suggestions on a good email provider with a decent privacy policy? I know some will say run your own email server. Well I am not going to do that. Also who would you all recommend for DNS? Which DNS provider has the best privacy policy? I have been using Open DNS.

2. hugsy

hugsy Registered Member

3. Carver

Carver Registered Member

4. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

I use gmail as my main web provider. I've also opened an account with gmx to deal with specific mail, and I must say gmail IMO is better: I find the main page is well designed, spam filters very rarely make a mistake, download attachment speed and sending is also better with gmail. Privacy with me it's not an issue, but I doubt gmx would be an improvement.

5. Carver

Carver Registered Member

I used to use inbox.com but their mail server was down every other day the only webmail I use now is Gmail no spam to speak of just Fry.com (I bought something there 3 year ago bought nothing since have no subscriptions there ether).

6. vtol

vtol Registered Member

heavy and bloated ad interface, lagging folder navigation, unreliable spam filter - my experience

7. markedmanner

Thanks for the suggestion. Will check it out. It seems there servers are in germany? I like the idea of my email provider being outside of my country (USA). Or would it be wiser for it to be within my country?

8. scott1256ca

scott1256ca Registered Member

You could also consider lavabit

Investigate and decide for yourself. I had signed up and used it for pop3 access and a web client. There are two free options with some restrictions.

Edit:
    I almost forgot. At the time when I investigated a couple of years ago, this was one of the few free options that supported ssl

Last edited: Nov 16, 2010
  9. vtol

vtol Registered Member

what do you reckon as benefit? do you really trust that whoever is copy reading your email in the US does not so in DE?

10. markedmanner

I guess thats true.. What I was thinking was as far as government authorities go. The fact it is in another country may make it harder for them to access. Though I could be wrong. I know encrypted messages are still the way to go though.

11. markedmanner

Thanks for the recommendation. well def check it out! Looks good.

EDIT: :( No new user sign up for lavabit right now. Will try again later.

12. vtol

vtol Registered Member

I think most governments are more afraid of the internet than anything. even if you get mail server somewhere else, you still need to access it through the net, i.e. your ISP - who in turn may have to enable lawful intercept capabilities through deep packet inspection (DPI). there they can read your email on the fly in real time. encryption is only as good as being open source, with no backdoor and strong.

how do reckon RIM solved their recent matter with India, UAE, KSA ...? By not letting them snoop into their encrypted data stream?

13. Fiat_Lux

Fiat_Lux Registered Member

I think that Lavabit that someone suggested looks nice.

You were asking for a German email provider, if you want such then check out "WEB_DE FreeMail Webmail", their email composing interface got spellchecking in multiple languages and they claim to have 42 test victories (security and quality) over a 10 year period. (42 Testsiege in 10 Jahren , Sicherheit und Qualität )
    But they will send you a lot of news and offers though you probably can turn that off.

You also have another option. That is to host your own domain at a cheap web hotel, like at a web hosts such as www.one.com , you will however also have to pay yearly fee for your domain. Also please notice that a cheap provider like www.one.com may not provide you with the kind of features and "enviroment" that you might wish for if wanting to establish a more advanced "web presence" .

14. Fiat_Lux

Fiat_Lux Registered Member

Yeah ! , ever heard of "Echelon" ?

The monitoring and control of people all over the planet is getting extreme , I think that Alex Jones nailed that when naming his site "prisonplanet" .

15. markedmanner

Was just reading a bit about DPI here: http://www.sb-innovation.de/f238/deep-packet-inspection-ssl-encrypted-traffic-23105/

A couple of interesting tools for firefox are listed to help fight against it. Also if a site is using 256 bit SSL it would be awfully hard for an ISP or anyone to monitor the traffic between you and the site.

Edit: Speaking of SSL. I dont understand wilders security is all about online security yet they dont use sslo_O?

16. hierophant

hierophant Registered Member

Certificate authorities can be compromised (and almost-certainly are).

Ummm, it's a public forum. As I understand it, implementing SSL would cost serious money for certificates and CPUs, and wouldn't accomplish anything worthwhile.

17. vtol

vtol Registered Member

wouldn't SSL chaining - 256bit VPN + 256bit SSL website certificate - require both SSL chains to be intercepted and compromised? and thus make it more difficult?

18. markedmanner

maybe Im looking at this wrong but it would be nice to login with ssl at least. Thus rendering sniffing with wireshark,firesheep useless... As it is anyone could capture your username and password for this site.

19. markedmanner

Good point... Im sure that would make it more difficult.

EDIT: Also I previously posted A secure anonymous setup that I have used: https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=280059

20. Judge Dee

Judge Dee Guest

See this thread where LowWatermark explains why.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.