Sick of AdMuncher

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by acr1965, Oct 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

Ok so I buy a "lifetime" license for AM which is supposed to be for the life of the version 4 product. Right now it's on version 4.72 and I have had it a couple years, so no complaint about the price as it was a fairly decent deal at the time- less than $30.

I have had a few gripes about AdMuncher in the past- incompatibility with other programs- first it was Online Armor, then A-squared along with their Mamutu program. Have a complaint about an AM compatibility issue? Just post it in their forum and they'll most likely use the excuse that if there is a compatibility problem it's the other company's fault.

Oh well, that's not my latest gripe. This one is more serious I think. The current version of 4.72 is listed on AdMuncher's web site as its latest stable release. That's what I have. And it is supposed to have daily updates. But there is a 4.73 beta release available. Guess what, though? In order to continue getting daily updates a licensee must update to the latest beta release. Otherwise, no daily updates.

This would not be an issue except that I have yahoo email accounts and the 4.73 beta has a yahoo email bug. Essentially running AM will not allow any yahoo email to be deleted. NONE! Not even spam. So I contact AM help and ask about this issue. I am informed that the yahoo email bug will be fixed upon the 4.73 final release, whenever that is. But if I want daily AM updates I still have to upgrade to the beta.

Has anyone encountered a license like this? Essentially you are sold a license (advertised as version 4.72 final) but if you want the advertised daily updates you must upgrade to the unstable beta? No mention of that in the license agreement that I can find.

http://www.admuncher.com/

2. Scoobs72

Scoobs72 Registered Member

Normally Admuncher Betas are as stable as most developers final versions. The "upgrade to get the updates" situation has happened before with Admuncher. Best advice I can offer is to add Yahoo mail as an exclusion in Admuncher until the bug is fixed

What's worse though, is that when I upgraded to the new beta I saw that my licence is no longer lifetime - it is lifetime until 5.0 comes out. I hadn't noticed this before....perhaps that was always the case and they are just making it clear now. I will look into it...

3. acr1965

Firefox 3.5.3 being filtered by AdMuncher. AM demonstrating its ability to "Prevent 'web bugs' from tracking page visits".

Attached Files:

• AM2.jpg
      AM2.jpg
      File size:
      193.4 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2009
  4. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

I also found Ad Muncher's betas very stable particularly with Vista. A few minutes ago I downloaded the latest version. I'm also convinced that it might give problems to other systems as no software is really universal.

In the past it would sometimes block some video streaming, and it was rather fastidious to disable filtering in order to view the video. Lately (the last 8 months it has stopped happening) and sometimes I even forget it is there.

acr1965, before you ditch it, I would try the beta, you might be pleasantly surprised.

Attached Files:

5. kasperking

kasperking Registered Member

hello i am using AM beta 4.73 v31306 and currently have no issue with yahoo e-mail on the contrary this beta has a better filtering mechanism than 4.72...so imho try it...........:thumb:

6. Technic

Technic Registered Member

I have some real issues with AdMuncher Beta for W7.

I can not open Yahoo Mail and Flickr site when using AM.

If I shutdown AM, all working. I would like to call this issue a bug. o_O

7. Tarnak

Tarnak Registered Member

I am using this version too!...and no issues with Yahoo e-mail, also.:)

8. acr1965

I'm glad the beta is working for you. But it's not for me. The point of the original post is why should a company be allowed to force paid subscribers to upgrade to a beta? I paid for a final product with daily updates. I either get a final product with no updates or a beta with updates.

Seriously does any other company do this with software?

9. Defcon

Defcon Registered Member

I have a number of issues with Admuncher. Not being able to exclude intranet sites is #1. It is also a little too trigger happy on some sites and will exclude whole portions - due to this I cannot recommend it to parents and less tech savvy users because they don't really understand the whitelist filter concept.

All that being said its the very 1st thing I install on a new pc. Browsing the web without AM is a horrible experience - I've tried AdBlock+ and its not even close. I believe there is just 1 programmer (Murray), he is a very helpful fellow (I've exchanged emails on suggestions and bug reports) and AM is still an incredible bargain. I hope v5 comes out soon!

10. Scoobs72

Do anti-virus companies count? Core applications updates are often pushed out at the same time as virus definition updates. If Admuncher tied the filters and applications together in a single update would there still be an issue for you?

11. kasperking

well.....with several cracked/pirated 4.72 versions dotting the net....this seems to be one of the mechanisms by murray hurps to counter this and force users to migrate to 4.73 beta....this has been subject to a lot of discussion at the AM forums.....i am unable to find the specific thread but here is a quote..

Last edited: Oct 20, 2009
  12. Scoobs72

That would make sense. Just had a quick search on the 'dark side' and there are indeed several cracked 4.72 versions.

13. rollers

rollers Registered Member

I had problems with 4.72 as I could never see any flash video on the BBC site, no matter what I did.
    I would love to try the beta version as I have a licence for this program. Could anyone point me in the right direction of where to find it as I cannot find it on their site.
    Thanks in anticipation.

Rollers

14. rollers

rollers Registered Member

Searched a bit harder and found it :))

I have installed now and running............all playing nicely, even the BBC video. Thanks for the heads up guys.

15. acr1965

If they are only updating their forced beta they should advertise accordingly. On 4.72 the last ad list version I have is 2236. Version 4.72 does not have "573" updates over the last year and apparently is not really the current version if it has been abandoned, the forced beta is the actual current version. Advertise accordingly!

Attached Files:

• AM3.jpg
      AM3.jpg
      File size:
      50.7 KB
      Views:
  16. acr1965

Well as an example, Avast has a 5.0 beta out. What if those who purchased the 4.8 Professional were forced to upgrade to 5.0 beta and 4.8 was still advertised as being the current, daily updated version but actually abandoned? Not much different in the big picture of things.

17. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

18. acr1965

Well that must be why they advertise 4.72 but then force the beta. They don't want to scare off any potential customers. If the product was bad everyone would be shouting false advertising. But apparently AM can get away with that. Nice.

19. HAN

HAN Registered Member

Beside bug fixes and a few new enhancements, I believe the key reason they cutoff updates to older versions is because of the already mentioned cracked versions. Otherwise, why cutoff the immediately preceeding build? (I am the HAN in the Ad Muncher thread noted above.)

When they started this approach (forcing upgrades to be able to update blocking definitions), it took a while to figure out why I wasn't getting updates. But now that I know the drill, it's not that bad to deal with.

Although I imagine that users who aren't haunting forums like this may not feel this way...

20. kasperking

well............Ad Muncher v4.8 Build 31318 *FINAL* is now out......here...http://www.admuncher.com/

here details from AM forum:
    About licensing policy:
    more details here........http://www.admuncher.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=5886

Last edited: Oct 21, 2009
  21. Dark Star 72

Dark Star 72 Registered Member

22. acr1965

Skirt the issue everyone. Skirt the issue. There's not anyone who can justify AdMuncher (previously) advertising current build 4.72 but killing updates for that version and forcing buyers to use a beta release in order to continue getting daily updates. That is simply false/misleading advertising. And if Symantec or Checkpoint tried this same mode of operation there would be people screaming bloody murder.

But just in case I missed anything - if anyone can justify AdMuncher advertising an abandoned build as their current version and then forcing people to upgrade to a beta to continue getting daily updates PLEASE POST YOUR REASONS. I seriously doubt anyone can justify that sort of advertising!

23. Scoobs72

I don't think anyone can justify it. But equally I don't think anyone is bothered about it in the same way you are. I'm certainly not bothered about it. It's a non-issue for me, however I accept that for you it is a significant issue.

24. kasperking

huh.......AM has moved on...4.72 to 4.73 to 4.8....i guess acr.....it's time to move on....no point beating the ground after the snake has dissappeared.:D :D :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.