Shred Agent

Discussion in 'polls' started by AJohn, Oct 25, 2007.

?

Would you purchase Shred Agent if it was:

1. 15$

17 vote(s)
    77.3%
  2. 20$

5 vote(s)
    22.7%
  3. 30$

2 vote(s)
    9.1%
  4. 45$

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. 60$

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

After using it, I change my price also in no more than $15.

2. InfinityAz

InfinityAz Registered Member

The issue with this poll is that it doesn't give you the option of paying $0 (i.e., you don't think this is worth paying for).

3. AJohn

AJohn Registered Member

Yeah sorry about that, but the purpose of this poll is to compare what people are willing to pay in an effort to get the vendor to lower the price. I cannot imagine them providing it for free, although that would be nice :D

4. testsoso

testsoso Registered Member

i think in its recent state, they should give it for free.

1) it doesn't work in limited user account.
    2)if i install returnil, it can't shred hardware lever, as they promised. returnil wil protect it, so what is the use of?
    3)look at the log, the most tmp files, it shred was really harmless.

the only advantage for me is the fast wipe free space, it is faster than eraser.

But if someone use Whole Disk Encryption, this only advantage is also gone.

5. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

I'm not really convinced that Shred Agent is fast, not even efficient according my calculations and $60 is close to cheating the user :

According Windows Explorer, my first harddisk[C:] is like this at this moment :
    1. Used space = 9.85gb
    2. Free space = 59.3gb
    Capacity = 69.2gb

1. Shred Agent wiped the free space of 59.3gb in 33 minuts.

2. My Zero Tool from Western Digital wipes the total volume of 69.2gb in 20 minuts.
    My Recovery CD of ShadowProtect restores the used space in 9 minuts, loading time of CD included (3 minuts) with a clean image, which is much cleaner than my actual harddisk.

So in 29 minuts I have my complete system back, cleaner than it was before.
    That is 4 minuts faster than Shred Agent and only my free space is clean, not my used space.

That's why I lowered my price from $30.00 to $15.00, I want to pay something, because nobody works for free, although some idealists do, but those are hard to find like diamonds.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2007
  6. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

I might pay $1.99 for shred agent but it's not worth anymore than that IMO. ERASER by Heidi is been around a very long time and they SPECIALIZE in this field of file/folder wiping. Anyone ever try D-Ban? These are both 100% tried & true apps that are also 100% free.

It's ridiculous to throw money away for something you can get thats even more efficient and free.

7. AJohn

AJohn Registered Member

Hi EASTER, neither of the softwares you mentioned provide what Shred Agent does.

8. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Then explain please what is not included. There is only so much a wiper can perform on a disk and the way it goes about doing it.

Thanks

9. AJohn

AJohn Registered Member

Eraser does not intercept delete calls by all other software (including Windows itself) and make sure the calls are intercepted/securely deleted. Please read my posts above.

10. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Securely deletel is an area for topic of arguement since ERASER can securely delete in several many algorithms of overwriting so thats a grey area for me, but intercepting delete calls is not so much any concern really. And i have read the above posts already, many times over, but still need some convincing it can match the levels of ERASER. Any additional differences are welcome and will be considered in the spirit given not just to favor one to another.

EASTER

11. herbalist

herbalist Guest

IMO, the ability to intercept delete commands is a convenience feature. It saves the user the trouble of either adding the locations to Erasers scheduler, erasing the location manually, or using the launcher to create an on-demand shortcut for specific locations. The launcher (eraserl.exe) is normally used as a command line tool but works just as well as a windows shortcut. I have 2 set up, one for IE6, one for Sea Monkey. One click wipes the cache, history, cookies, etc. A user could just as easily set up a simple batch file that uses the launcher and wipe all temp locations with a single click, and not require another running process or tray icon.

I didn't see any mention of index.dat files on the Shred Agent site. Can Shred Agent be configured to wipe index.dat files at bootup or shutdown? Eraser will. IMO, the extra convenience isn't worth paying for.
    Would you really want it to be able to? If it could, that would indicate that Returnil is vulnerable, and if a file erasing program can bypass its protection, so could malware using the same technique.

Rick

12. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

I recently found this vbs code that not only displays your Index.Dat but safely removes it on reboot. I take no credit for it as you can clearly read the Author's handle in it. But i use it occasionally to remove web url history.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2007
  13. AJohn

AJohn Registered Member

I think you just published the author of that scripts' e-mail to google :|

Last edited: Nov 18, 2007
  14. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Resolved: Thanks for the heads up. LoL

15. AJohn

AJohn Registered Member

Since I created this thread the price has actually gone up 10$. I look forward to Comodo's version of this :D

16. LockBox

LockBox Registered Member

$70 as of September 16, 2009. Don't they realize that for every one they manage to sell at the ridiculous price of $70 - they would sell 20 (or more) at $10? It costs no more to them as it's a digital file. You just have to wonder about what they're thinking. Oh well, their loss.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.