Shred Agent

Discussion in 'polls' started by AJohn, Oct 25, 2007.

?

Would you purchase Shred Agent if it was:

1. 15$

17 vote(s)
    77.3%
  2. 20$

5 vote(s)
    22.7%
  3. 30$

2 vote(s)
    9.1%
  4. 45$

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. 60$

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. AJohn

AJohn Registered Member

Hello, I am wanting to discuss Shred Agent which can be found at http://www.shredagent.com/?1_1_0_38
    -I know this has been brought up here before, but the topic is so old that I am not allowed to reply to it.

For those of you who have not read about it yet, it basically installs a driver and sits in the system tray waiting for your system to delete a file and then securely deletes the file (whether you empty the recycle bin or Internet Explorer automatically deletes some cache it is securely deleted instead of letting Windows handle it in a non-secure manner).

Shred Agent looks very interesting and I am wondering why no other companies have tried this method before?

Right now the company has a single purchase of Shred Agent listed at 60$. I believe this is way too much although it is a very good, effective and lightweight product. I am assuming they do not sell very many copies of this to personal users (compared to other companies selling similar products), even though this product would probably better suite many personal users than a majority of the other shareware products out there (especially when used along-side CCleaner).

The purpose of this poll is to see how many people here would purchase Shred Agent based on different pricing. Hopefully this will draw more attention to the product and possibly get the price down so that I can allow myself to buy a copy (I will not allow myself to pay 60$ for this when I can do so much more with 60$).

Below is a picture of Shred Agent after telling Internet Explorer to delete temporary files.

Attached Files:

2. tradetime

tradetime Registered Member

Can't say I would as I use Heidi's Eraser, and see little advantage in this product.

3. AJohn

AJohn Registered Member

Well I think the advantage would be never having to wipe your free space again due to Shred Agent automatically securely deleting everything that the software you use would normally delete in a non-secure fashion. You could always disable Internet Explorer from deleting things on its own, but could you ever stop 100% of the software you use from doing any deletes?

The Shred Agent beta has a command line option to wipe free space and after that you would really have no need to ever run the time consuming task again.

The only thing you would need Eraser or CCleaner for would be to delete files that are not auto-deleted by individual software settings. There would still be a need for another secure delete software, but when it does run (at startup, shutdown or whenever scheduled) it would not have such a long line of files to process.

This is somewhat similar to Buzzsaw's On-the-Fly Defragmentation in that it works constantly in the background a little at a time to keep things in order rather than letting things build up. I find the proactive methods to be faster as there is always free CPU available throughout normal operations versus at startup there seems to always be a fight for CPU, plus when the scheduled cleaning comes around it is much lighter.

4. tradetime

tradetime Registered Member

I agree that there appear to be one or two configurable options with this product that are missing from eraser, but I guess I am just not paranoid enough to need them, and certainly not to pay for them, but that's just me, I'm sure others will see it differently.

5. AJohn

AJohn Registered Member

Fair enough, but not even for 15$? :p

6. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Not more than $30. I use R-Wipe&Clean.
    Except for the wipe, my FDISR-archive does a full cleaning job in one hit without any setting, which can't be beaten by any general cleaning software, because they only provide standard cleaning and all the rest remains on your harddisk.

7. sukarof

sukarof Registered Member

Interesting idea. usually I dont shred anything, but if there was a invisible no impact driver that conflicts with nothing I might consider pay $15 for it, just for the sake of privacy.

8. AJohn

AJohn Registered Member

shredagent.exe runs at about 7,308K and has peaked to about 7,340 so far.

Does anyone know of other software with this same feature?

Last edited: Oct 25, 2007
  9. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

No, not as advertised.

$20-$25, $30 max. It's an impulse buy.

Blue

10. AJohn

AJohn Registered Member

I like that I only need to wipe my free space once and never have to worry about it again after Shred Agent is installed. Anything that gets deleted gets wiped and anything else would have to be manually taken care of by CCleaner or something similar anyways. On top of that there is not so much to process at startup.

It would be nice if they had some competition.. hooking API calls shouldn't be too hard for developers?

11. AJohn

AJohn Registered Member

I noticed there are some files without extensions that Shred Agent fails to take care of by default. You can fix this by going into Tools/Options/Filters/Include and adding a mask of "*" without the "".

12. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

13. AJohn

AJohn Registered Member

Thanks for the suggestion, but after reading I do not believe SDelete offers what Shred Agent does. I see that SDelete can securely delete files and also the free space, but it does not seem to be able to automatically intercept API delete calls and securely delete them instead.

Shred Agent can clean free space, but once the free space has been cleaned there is never a need to clean the free space again. SA intercepts delete calls and securely deletes the files no matter what software was trying to delete them and does it automatically based on extension masks.

So if you have Firefox set to auto-clear private data then Shred Agent automatically intercepts the delete commands and does it securely.

Did I miss something and SDelete can offer this?

Example:

Normal operations: Firefox auto-clear private data API call - Windows deletes the data - Free space is contaminated
    Shred Agent operations: Firefox auto-clear private data - Shred Agent intercepts API call - Shred Agent securely deletes the data - Free space remains clean

Last edited: Oct 27, 2007
  14. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

SDelete doesn't intercept API calls, so I'd say that SDelete does not offer that.
    Old Shred Agent thread

15. AJohn

AJohn Registered Member

Yeah, thanks anyways though - it is the thought that counts. I have read that thread and that is how I learned how Shred Agent works, will be nice and easy for others to find now though :D

I wonder if any current software developers would be interested in adding this feature into their existing software?

16. AJohn

AJohn Registered Member

17. focus

focus Registered Member

18. AJohn

AJohn Registered Member

Hello focus, thanks for the suggestion. That looks like some very nice software with many great features, but it does not offer the real-time on-the-fly interception of delete commands by other software.

19. Holly3278

Holly3278 Registered Member

I would purchase it if it was $15 or $20.

20. AJohn

AJohn Registered Member

So far if they were selling licenses at:

15$ a license: 90$ profit
    20$ a license: 60$ profit
    30$ a license: 30$ profit

I really think they should sell it at 15$ a license.

21. Rilla927

Rilla927 Registered Member

I really like the whole concept behind this program and I would love to purchase it, but not at $60.00.

22. AJohn

AJohn Registered Member

Hi Rilla, thanks for the feedback :D

23. testsoso

testsoso Registered Member

does the software automatically shred things, delete by other software?

for example, uninstall a program, will this too be shred from your harddisk? or we still need to wipe it?

some browser can be set to auto remove cache cookies etc. by clossing it. wil those things too be shred?

24. AJohn

AJohn Registered Member

Yes, all autoshred :D

25. dNor

dNor Registered Member

No more than $15 for something like this.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.